For Sale RecTec 590 not smoking

FamilySavvy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
After 7 weeks of excellent smoking, my RecTec 590 did not produce any smoke when I turned it on tonight (to 400). Usually when I lift the lid, smoke billows out. Tonight, I saw no smoke.

I put mostly new pellets in before turning it on, so I am not sure what is happening. We have had lots of rain, so maybe pellets got damp?

Anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!!

Has it gotten colder where you live? That could be part of it. Have you tried a lower temp like 250F? For all pellet grills, higher temps mean less smoke.

PS. You posted this in the Classified section, where folks list things for sale.

Hi! It has gotten a bit colder.....it was 70ish.....so nothing drastic. I usually do a lower temp or just a "smoke" at 180-200 F, but I was going higher to finish steaks that had been skillet seared and needed to finish cooking at about 400 F.

Yes I see that I am in classifieds; I am not sure how to fix this!!! Thanks for the input!!

So....how do you get smoke for cooking a steak or other high temp item? Do you just have to start it out on low until it smokes before turning up high? I also have a smoke tube....

I expect the best chance of getting smoke flavor in a steak is to reverse sear it, using a smoke tube on the low temp part of the cook. Reverse seared this 2” thick tenderloin for my wife’s birthday yesterday, 250* on the Bull with mesquite pellets in a smoke tube to an internal temp of 125* I then finished it on the Bullseye using the flat side of the grill grates, 700*, for one minute each side.
C1F5EE76-02F9-4BDF-B9E1-24624C8563AE.jpeg

So appreciate all of the advice! So reverse sear means first cook the steak at a low temperature until it reaches close to the internal temp you want to achieve, THEN sear at the very end?

The steak looks AWESOME!!!!!!!

And one more thing. I put my RecTec 590 on low this morning and it is smoking perfectly. So that shows that I have to smoke low first.

I tried to light the pellets in my smoke tube and nothing would "catch." I used 3 different lighters, and a few pellets would look like they might start burning but none did. Am I missing something? It can't be this hard lol😂

I use a heat gun. It will take more than a match or lighter for sure. There are lots of YouTube videos that can help you.

Torch here also. You can also use it for other cooking tasks, creme brulee, etc. Mine is MAPP gas/propane, available at any home improvement store.

And one more thing. I put my RecTec 590 on low this morning and it is smoking perfectly. So that shows that I have to smoke low first.

I tried to light the pellets in my smoke tube and nothing would "catch." I used 3 different lighters, and a few pellets would look like they might start burning but none did. Am I missing something? It can't be this hard lol😂

The pellets I use in my tube I always microwave them first. Put them in for 1 min, then open door and allow to cool slightly. Stir around and do another min. Good to go. . .
Do keep an eye on them while in microwave.

For smoking 225 is the highest you want to go. you can still get smoke above that but 225 seems to be the perfect smoke temp. Of course, I use 100% hickory pellets from lumberjack exclusively

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back