Recteq’s Cold Weather Cooking Tip

Prime Rib tomorrow. Sitting at 0 today here. UGH. I worry more about me freezing than the cook failing. Ha! And I plan to clean up my ash today. I would rather smoke longer than eat the ash that seems to blow around (especially when cold).

Good luck to everyone out there on your cooks. Note... hard to get a prime rib. I went Choice this year because that was all available from three places including my normal easy go-to of Costco.

Yeah, folks have been saying to let the ash build up for a while now. I really don't do a lot of cold weather cooking, but I HATE having ash blowing all over something I want to eat so I always clean up the ash before and after long cooks.
Fire bricks?

The first is that it will absorb spillage from anything that hangs outside the drip pan.

That's one of the gripes I have with this smoker. There shouldn't be an area where spillage can occur past the drip pan. If the rim that the grates sat on was a little bit wider, the edges would sit over the drip pan instead of just shy of it. Alternatively, the drip pan itself could even be a little wider and the grease would not be able to get past it while still allowing the smoke to find its way up. Unfortunately the way it is, I find myself not being able to really use up the whole surface area of the grill.

Last edited:
That's one of the gripes I have with this smoker. There shouldn't be an area where spillage can occur past the drip pan. If the rim that the grates sat on was a little bit wider, the edges would sit over the drip pan instead of just shy of it. Alternatively, the drip pan itself could even be a little wider and the grease would not be able to get past it while still allowing the smoke to find its way up. Unfortunately the way it is, I find myself not being able to really use up the whole surface area of the grill.
I agree. My Traeger was the same way though, so it might be something that can’t be avoided.

The Bull is a great machine. Getting close on a prime rib right now and its 0 out right now. It was -12 when I put it on this morning and the temp on the bull has stayed at a steady 250 the whole time besides when I open the lid. I have probably a couple inches of ash on the bottom.

I’ve read plenty complaints about welding blankets shedding, what brand do you use?
I use the harbor freight moving blankets. Last time I bought was $ 8. Never had any issues. But normally don’t cook much over 250. One of ray’s earlier videos he mentions the moving blanket.

I smoked Pork Loin today for Christmas, it was in the teens here in Michigan temperature wise.
0 issues getting up to temp and holding it on my 590.
I smoke all the time in the cold weather. I never let that shit cake up in the bottom.
Nor do I use a welding blanket.

started cooking this morning in Michigan. Temp outside was 15 with some wind. My house luckily blocks most of the wind. Started off with two london broils til they were 125 and took them off to rest. Currently have a 12 pound spathcock turkey going, but it's cooking faster so I turned it off for 30-45 minutes since I don't need to pull it until 3:15 to serve at 4. Also putting a spiral ham on there to warm. Once the bird is off, i'll heat it up to high and use the sear plates for the london broils

I must be the exception to the rule. I bet I haven’t cleaned out my recteq in over 2 years. I just change the foil on my drip pan scrap the cooking grids and go for it. I always thought it’s a smoker. It’s suppose to look used. Lol

I must be the exception to the rule. I bet I haven’t cleaned out my recteq in over 2 years. I just change the foil on my drip pan scrap the cooking grids and go for it. I always thought it’s a smoker. It’s suppose to look used. Lol

I sincerley hope you are cleaning out the firepot at minimum? That's the extent of what I do, and that must be done for obvious reasons.

So I as watching the latest Recteq YouTube video that just came out, offering cold weather cooking tips. One of the tips was to allow 1/8” - 1/4” of ash to build up at the bottom of the drum, to help insulate it. The is a new one for me. I almost always vacuum out the ash after a cook, especially if it’s a lengthy one…:oops:
Living in Montana allows me to cook at extremes. And everyday is a good day to use my Bull. No special needs just get it going an keep your hood vents cleaned out. Airflow very important. Great cooking New Year to ya.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back