Bull Resolved! So this is the first thing I see... after unboxing

Brian Vallotton

UPDATE: The issue is resolved! Thanks to Zach at Rec Tec and to my fellow grilling friends here. Spending the extra time was worth it. I am happy and for my troubles Rec Tec is sending me a complimentary Competition Cart. They went above and beyond my expectations and I am grateful. Thanks again everyone who encouraged me to not just send it back.

Scratches and pitting... and wouldn’t you know they are both on the top where you see it the most. Ughh. So here I sit wondering if I should just stop right here.

UPDATE: This is where I sit. No further unboxing and have emails into support with these pictures. I am not willing to pay 1300 dollars for something that comes looking like this. No BBQ tonight. Oh well... Just returned a SmokeFire... so I am used to the procedure.

After a few more hours... I am just going to send it back. THE. END.

With some good advice and part of a night's sleep I have decided to follow the good and friendly advice of some of my friend's here and let Rec Tec have a chance to make things right. I am not sure what that would mean. But I will communicate with them and see. There are more scratches on it that I did not bother to take a picture of on the outside of the same side with the pitting... where the little stand that has the controller in it goes. Just was kinda shocking/disappointing to see this yesterday.

0DD380E9-0A0F-4446-A85A-5A5574370DA8.jpeg
F2CC4046-75B8-4B63-AA54-022E7D0B7BFB.jpeg

Last edited:
I would just send the pics to customer service and talk with someone. They're good about making things right. Personally I wouldn't be too upset over the lighter scratching and After Paying for a premium grill can understand you being upset and the pitting. And although you "shouldn't have to" have you tried to clean it and see if it maybe rubs off?... Either way get with customer service. It'll work out. I actually had a rusted wheel on delivery for unknown reasons. But it was made right.

No the scratch is 1.75 inches long on the top of the hopper and the pitting is right on the top left side where it is very visable. I sent an email to Zach.

Scratches and pitting... and wouldn’t you know they are both on the top where you see it the most. Ughh. So here I sit wondering if I should just stop right here. Update: This is where I sit. No further unboxing and have emails into support with these pictures. I am not willing to pay 1300 dollars for something that comes looking like this. No BBQ tonight. Oh well.
Id be clicking my heals if I were you.... Give them a call after you shoot off an email. You will probably get the thing half off if you leverage it. Its only going to look shinny and brand spanking new for a few cooks anyways. Rec Tec ALWAYS makes good on thier f-ups.

Id be clicking my heals if I were you.... Give them a call after you shoot off an email. You will probably get the thing half off if you leverage it. Its only going to look shinny and brand spanking new for a few cooks anyways. Rec Tec ALWAYS makes good on thier f-ups.
I am leaning toward just give me my money back and let me go on with my life at the moment.

Scratches and pitting... and wouldn’t you know they are both on the top where you see it the most. Ughh. So here I sit wondering if I should just stop right here.

UPDATE: This is where I sit. No further unboxing and have emails into support with these pictures. I am not willing to pay 1300 dollars for something that comes looking like this. No BBQ tonight. Oh well... Just returned a SmokeFire... so I am used to the procedure.

View attachment 2286View attachment 2287View attachment 2288
I have a guitar I have played for over TEN years that looks better than how I received this unit. So yeah, I care about how things are taken care of.

You are on a Rec Tec forum and you don't have a RT grill?
This is a picture of the RT700 I just received. It is my first Rec Tec product. Not sure what you are saying here? Can you give a look at the pictures I posted earlier and tell me IF you would like your 1400.00 purchase to look like this?

This is a picture of the RT700 I just received. It is my first Rec Tec product. Not sure what you are saying here? Can you give a look at the pictures I posted earlier and tell me IF you would like your 1400.00 purchase to look like this?
Oh, I thought I saw you on here before but I suppose you joined when you ordered your grill (as did I) sorry, yeah duh,

Oh, I thought I saw you on here before but I suppose you joined when you ordered your grill (as did I) sorry, yeah duh,
No problem Mark, I am just a very unhappy griller at the moment. Peace to you. I am really upset right now. Not what I was hoping for.

Brian,
I feel you pain wait for your new grill and overall a bad first experience. From my contact with the folks at Rec Tec there is no better customer service. I have worked for a lot of tech companies and they have always been amazing.
Give them a call and I am sure this will work out.
Best Greg

Brian,
I feel you pain wait for your new grill and overall a bad first experience. From my contact with the folks at Rec Tec there is no better customer service. I have worked for a lot of tech companies and they have always been amazing.
Give them a call and I am sure this will work out.
Best Greg
I appreciate your kind words, but after a bad Traeger, a returned SmokeFire, I am not sure I am in for the ride.

I had a couple of dents on mine, I work as a metal finisher so I was able to fix them with ease but yeah, I'm pretty sure the shipping company that they deal with are a bunch of tick tards. I was able to get a free competition base and front folding shelf due to their incompetence ... It took over a month to get the grill (the first one they lost) and the box looked like it went through a hurricane by the time I got it.
as far as the damage on yours, after I have used mine a dozen times I realize that the scratch and pitting on yours will be camouflaged by the smoke residue and grease that it naturally accumulates by using the grill. If I were you I would try and get a massive discount and enjoy the grill otherwise because despite the minor flaws that yours has, it is a great grill and you will enjoy it...maybe even more so after saving a few bucks on it.

I had a couple of dents on mine, I work as a metal finisher so I was able to fix them with ease but yeah, I'm pretty sure the shipping company that they deal with are a bunch of tick tards. I was able to get a free competition base and front folding shelf due to their incompetence ... It took over a month to get the grill (the first one they lost) and the box looked like it went through a hurricane by the time I got it.
as far as the damage on yours, after I have used mine a dozen times I realize that the scratch and pitting on yours will be camouflaged by the smoke residue and grease that it naturally accumulates by using the grill. If I were you I would try and get a massive discount and enjoy the grill otherwise because despite the minor flaws that yours has, it is a great grill and you will enjoy it...maybe even more so after saving a few bucks on it.
Thank you my friend. I am just not really feeling the discount right now... The irritation I feel has no monetary value right now. But we will see. My Weber Kettle 18" is looking better by the minute.

Sorry, I just meant it as a point of reference for what you should expect
Hey brother, did not mean to be so harsh. I am just really unhappy right now. So disappointed. A bad Traeger, a returned SmokeFire, and now this... 45 days later. In other words I have not pellet grilled since mid January. Not amused at this point and makes me want to be a member of the "stick fire forever" crowd. No cords, no wifi, no muss.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back