Restaurant Depot

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I’ve read at least a few folks have been to Restaurant Depot, I’m wondering if it’s worth a trip. we now have one 30 min away and I’m told you can walk in and get a day pass without the need to own a restaurant. If you use one, what do you buy? Do the packages make Costco’s look small? I only cook for 2.

I liked to buy flour, sugar, 5lb box of tortilla chips, vegetable oils in the big cubes, potatoes and onions in 50lb sacks. Bell peppers, apples and lemons by the box. Chicken is great there, the party wings (already separated) are a great deal usually. Flat iron steaks in the frozen section. Smoked, bone-in pork chops (whole loin only). Steaks are slightly cheaper but you have to buy the whole loin and cut/package them yourself. The rest of the meats you can mostly get at Sam's or Costco.

I highly recommend going at least once. I haven't been there since C-19 hit, I don't get out in that area much anymore.

We have a similar store in our area—US Foods Chefs’Store—that I shop at occasionally. It is OK for staples, but the meat is all USDA Choice or below; no Prime. And, that’s not surprising for a place that primarily caters to restaurants and commercial food prep outfits. Costco generally has better meat at nearly comparable prices.

@Jim6820 we also have a U.S. Foods Chef’s Store and I find their pork ribs to be better and cheaper than Costco. Plus they come in individual packs instead of Costco’s 3 pack so I can determine how many I want to cook. I just bought a case of St. Louis ribs for $2.99 lb. Our also has both bone in and boneless pork butts.
If you look through the Angus briskets you can find one every now and then with really good marbling. Some of my best briskets have come from there.
Also our store has Bear Mountain pellets in 33 lb. bags for $15.19 in some varieties and 20 lb. bags for $8.39 in other varieties.
I’m a regular in there.

I am a member and shop there before some of my parties. If you have a business license, you can get a free membership. This seems to be the case for just about any type of business. I have rental properties and each has a kitchen so when asked, I use the Air-BNB/VRBO angle. The one catch with this route is you have to visit once a month or they will expire your membership and you have to restart the process which is filling out another application. As stated above by Padlin00 you can also get a day pass but you must use cash with the passes. My typical grocery list includes Bone In Pork Butts, Brisket, 7 Bone Prime Grade Prime Rib, Fresh Seafood (mine has a tank full of fish, lobster, crab and other items, plus the oysters and clams are usually available and fresh), whole chickens (by the box of approximately 12), chicken thighs, legs and quarters, desserts (Cheesecake, 7 layer cake and others), frozen meat for my Philly Cheese steaks, cheese, hotdogs and sausages (in large quantities), and kitchen devices (steamer pans, disposable pans, cleaning suppliers and similar). I have also purchased lump charcoal and larger quantity spices that are always in great supply. My visits have slowed to once or twice a month since the kiddos are in college and not playing in the local sports leagues. But between Costco and RD, I’m usually sinking $3-5,000 each month. I agree with SmokeOCD, you should give it a visit if you are ever close to a location.

"Back in my day....." if you were a member of KCBS (Kansas City Barbeque Society) you got a free member card.
I guess they got tired of the small orders and started expiring them out unless you were active. My last visit as I said before was easily 2019 - so I'm probably SOL.

Forgot in my previous post:
Cheese sticks, fries, onion rings, eggs, clarified butter, eggs (during the initial shortage), breakfast sausage... stuff you may not normally buy, but when you see it you go - eh, I'll give it a try.

@Jim6820 we also have a U.S. Foods Chef’s Store and I find their pork ribs to be better and cheaper than Costco. Plus they come in individual packs instead of Costco’s 3 pack so I can determine how many I want to cook. I just bought a case of St. Louis ribs for $2.99 lb. Our also has both bone in and boneless pork butts.
If you look through the Angus briskets you can find one every now and then with really good marbling. Some of my best briskets have come from there.
Also our store has Bear Mountain pellets in 33 lb. bags for $15.19 in some varieties and 20 lb. bags for $8.39 in other varieties.
I’m a regular in there.
I’ll have to go by the store again one of these days; it has been a while since I’ve been there. I don’t recall ever seeing “Angus briskets” in my local Chef’Store; maybe something has changed.

"Back in my day....." if you were a member of KCBS (Kansas City Barbeque Society) you got a free member card.
I guess they got tired of the small orders and started expiring them out unless you were active. My last visit as I said before was easily 2019 - so I'm probably SOL.
Does anyone know for certain if Restaurant Depot has phased out those who aren't "active shoppers"? Some years ago I got a lifetime KCBS membership, partly to support the organization and partly so I could go to RD once in a while for different items than Costco, but like others I haven't gone since probably 2019.

You might be able to sweet talk the person behind the counter if you still have your RD card to re-activate it. I know you definitely couldn't get a new one made because "we" (KCBS) weren't big buyers and they were definitely killing off inactive cards.
*Restaurant Depot offers memberships only to businesses that provide the required paperwork described on this page. If you do not have a business, you can shop with a day pass.

If you haven't been back since 2019 - you probably don't miss it that much. You may just want to go now because you found out you can't. ;)

I’ve read at least a few folks have been to Restaurant Depot, I’m wondering if it’s worth a trip. we now have one 30 min away and I’m told you can walk in and get a day pass without the need to own a restaurant. If you use one, what do you buy? Do the packages make Costco’s look small? I only cook for 2.
In Hampton Roads we have a Restaurant Depot. The only way in is if you have a business license and get a membership. The membership is free and it doesn’t matter what business you are in. I renew my business license every year just so I can keep my membership. My business license only costs 20$. I’m also a Costco member.

In my opinion if you can find it at Costco it’s usually better and less expensive. But the Depot has kitchen supplies at good prices that are restaurant grade quality, utilitarian and sturdy.

The depot does have food items that can’t be found at Costco and some are much cheaper then Costco and much more then grocery stores. One example was green peppers. You could get a 5 pound bag for less than half the cost at our grocery store. But you had to buy 5 pounds.

All the Depots raw meat is uncut. Significantly less expensive but you better have some butcher skills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back