Stampede Returning to target temp issue

daWOOKIE

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
First time posting after lurking for a year.

Recently I’ve started having some issues with my 590 when using it to grill.

It will get up to the target temp, 470-485, I’ll put on whatever I am grilling (normally chicken breasts or burgers) and after the temp drop from opening the lid, it’s taking forever to return to temp (20 minutes and only 30 degrees, still 50 below target)

The only thing that’s changed in my usage is I went from my own blend of lumber Jack oak and traeger mesquite to the lumber Jack mesquite brand.

I’m going to do a full cleaning before my next grilling attempt but any suggestions on what is causing my inablility to rebuild temp? For the last year it would take maybe 5 minutes after a quick door open and it would be right back on target, now 28 minutes later and still only 432 (target 480).

Are you using grillgrates?

That is precisely why I no longer use my griddle on my 590. The griddle retains most of the heat, but takes forever to get back up to set temp after flipping, mixing, etc.

I have the factory grates and the sear plates on the right half of the grill but have had the sear plates in there for 6 months and hadn’t had issues until these last two grilling cooks.

Last night it hit 485, couple minutes later I threw the chicken breasts on, dropped to 394, then when I pulled them 30 minutes later was only 432.

It only took 40 minutes to go from off to 485 in the first place.

Beyond a proper cleaning, anything else to try or check? I don’t want to pull the plates as I like to finish the breasts or burgers with some sear marks.

Check the RTD probe. If it is bent that can cause funky temps.

Cold meat is going to affect it to a certain extent ? ? ?

R u verifying CC temps with another digital calibrated thermometer at all ? Just wondering

Are you using grillgrates?
I have been using grill grates for years on my kettle & gas grills and now on my recently acquired Bullseye. I like how they add great grill marks on steaks and, when flipped to smooth side, how well they cook burgers.

Update:

Cleaned out all of the ash and the fire pot, also cleaned the temp probe.

This time I took one of the accessory probes and put it in there with a clip to see how the temps tracked between the two.

Initial warm up was normal, temps tracked between the two pretty well.

Still had issues returning to temp on the main reading, but the accessory probe indicated over heating.

Photos attached for reference showing some of the temp readings, the set up, and the temp plot (it heated up fast after taking the chicken breasts off for example).

Next step will be a conversation with support but wanted to see if anyone had obvious suggestions or similar experiences (or maybe I have unrealistic expectations?).

F18F62B5-F360-48A9-A700-FC09295D6F9F.png

2F1347C3-5AAF-4E91-BDEB-5D52A45B8E77.png

1BDD8B73-A606-4063-AC2E-648CDB946D4C.png

0F880977-D861-4058-BAF0-24C92268B973.jpeg

FD4E57E1-670D-47A1-9E06-A876A2BDAE03.png

im sure you have been doing it the same way all this time. but if you keep your foil on the drip pan inside the edges of the drip pan vs folding it over the edge you will have better air flow and faster heat ups. also i have never inspected mine but eventually i would think we will need to clean the blades of our fan just like a ceiling fan to get the dust off. but it may go fast enough to not hold dust not sure

also any reason you shoot for 475-485 vs setting it to 500? are you struggling to hit 500? definitely nothing wrong with 475 just curious about what is going on. also don’t adjust your feedrate to try to correct high heat issues. its only used to set the minimum feed rate to allow low temps. only adjust that if your having flame outs (raise it)or unable to hit 180 (lower it a bit but watch for flame outs).

im sure you have been doing it the same way all this time. but if you keep your foil on the drip pan inside the edges of the drip pan vs folding it over the edge you will have better air flow and faster heat ups. also i have never inspected mine but eventually i would think we will need to clean the blades of our fan just like a ceiling fan to get the dust off. but it may go fast enough to not hold dust not sure
I always got grease fires with foil. Recteq told me to stop using foil and scrape it after every cook. No more fires and save foil.

I always got grease fires with foil. Recteq told me to stop using foil and scrape it after every cook. No more fires and save foil.
I use foil and a thin cookie sheet aluminum foil pan when I cook fatty meats. I clean my cooker every other cook and replace the foil and pan. The pan catches most of the grease and I can easily dispose of it during my clean out. I have a foil can liner in my drip can but it usually has nothing in it. Just my 2 cents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back