Reverse sear question

TomL

What temp are you pulling your steaks off to crank up the grillgrates for the sear?

I pull the steaks at no more than 120 degrees and move them over to the smoke box on the lower shelf and put them back on the grill grates sear plates once the temperature come up to full.

I pull at 120, though from there I pull off of the RT and I either sear in a cast iron skillet on the side burner of my grill, or will sear on the grill.

Also 120.....but if they were thin steaks I'd go lower* I like 2" Ribeyes.

Last edited:
I did a 2" thick NY Strip on Sunday. Pulled it 115, ran the grill up to 500 and then back on for about 2.5 minutes per side. I did mine on the flat side of the grill grates. Just under medium rare how I like them.

So as you see will completely depend on what your final desired product. For me and the wife i pull at 115 (have one in sous vide now at 115 that ill pull around 7 hours). That one went from freezer straight to sous vide. I have grill grates from a charcoal burner and have tried it now on pellet several times i hate it, wont ever do that again. So as stated i prefer cast iron, be it on open grate cast iron over fire (as i will do today) or on the oven. Come to think about it think ill use a bit o butter this time as well ;-).

So as you see will completely depend on what your final desired product. For me and the wife i pull at 115 (have one in sous vide now at 115 that ill pull around 7 hours). That one went from freezer straight to sous vide. I have grill grates from a charcoal burner and have tried it now on pellet several times i hate it, wont ever do that again. So as stated i prefer cast iron, be it on open grate cast iron over fire (as i will do today) or on the oven. Come to think about it think ill use a bit o butter this time as well ;-).
We have been or should I say I have been thinking about getting a sous vide, have any recommendations?

Anova or Joule. I have the middle of the road Anova and feel it is a great machine.
It is wifi enabled and can also be adjusted directly on the unit. They also have 20 - 25% sales quite often. The Joule is only operated thru the app.
My 2 cents...

Anova or Joule. I have the middle of the road Anova and feel it is a great machine.
It is wifi enabled and can also be adjusted directly on the unit. They also have 20 - 25% sales quite often. The Joule is only operated thru the app.
My 2 cents...
Thanks I will look into them, I definitely would like to have Wi-Fi but also be able to control it stand alone too.

I have used both, at the time the joule was higher powered and smaller. I think anova has gotten better in that regard but i have the joule and have no complaints. In fact has a steak in a bath now :).

I have used both, at the time the joule was higher powered and smaller. I think anova has gotten better in that regard but i have the joule and have no complaints. In fact has a steak in a bath now :).
I'm jealous I can't wait to savor a steak cooked at home like this, enjoy that steak.?

Key question here is the size of the steaks. PSU is spot on. If they are super thick you might go a little warmer. I have done some of those super thick tomahawk ribeyes that are in excess of 3 inches. I go higher with those... Even to 125. Simply because the searing doesn't raise the temp as much in the middle.

If the steaks are retail common cuts I wouldn't dare go above 115 as when i add them to the sear grates they do cook more and the window from medium rare to medium well is pretty short at 500 degrees.

Last point.. how long you sear does impact this too. If you go with super hot... twist method you need the temps up a little from rest.

So... for super thick I go to 125 ... rest while temps max out then put them on oiled grates for sear 2 turn sear 2 flip then sear 2 turn sear 2 and remove. Note... big fan of ensuring you go to clean spot on grates with each flip!!! Shocking how much the steak will bring the grates temp down so if you just rotate in lace your crosses won't be as dramatic.

For thinner strips or even mass retail T-bones/porter houses that are thinnger i do 115 and then use same method but may turn/flip in 60 second intervals.

I have the Anova, But if I was in the market right now, I’d look hard at Monoprice’s sous vide. My neighbor has one and I really can’t tell the difference from mine.

Monoprice Sous Vide

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back