BFG RIB Test 5.5 hour cook

rhouser

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I pulled one rack and stored it on the shelf under the barrel on the competition cart (I love this thing). I moved the second rack to the middle set of slides that I haven't used yet. I placed the rack in about the middle of the cooking chamber.

I previously burned through the remaining Trager pellets I was using (pecan) and had cleaned the hopper, auger, and fire pot with a shop vac. For this cook I loaded a 40 pound bag of the recteq pellets.

I set the temps to 275 and backed up the onboard thermocoupler with my signals air temp probe in a holder and placed it on the topside centered on the bottom grate. I loaded 3 full racks of St Louis trimmed pork ribs, 1 full rack of beef back ribs, and 6 seperate beef ribs that had been seperated from a Standing Rib. All the ribs were placed bone down.

At about the 2:30 mark, I had enough pull back on the beef back ribs to make me temp probe them. The beef ribs were all at about 175 degrees (thanks Thor). I foiled wrapped the beef ribs and put them back on the grate.

At the 3:15 mark, the foil packets of ribs were probed. The ribs were butter to push through and the meat was running 205 - 209. These came off. I did not unwrap these and put them back. I just put them to rest.

At 4:15 min the three racks of St Louis ribs were nicely pulled back, the twist test showed them to be ready, and the push though test confirmed a butter like pass though. These were pulled at about 4 hours 20 minutes.

Observations: I had planned for 5.5 hours to get these done, but it turned out the 4.5 hours was enough.
I had pretty tight alignment of on-board temp readings against my Signals air temp probe. When heat ups occurred (after door openings) the on-board temp rose more quickly and dramatically but I believe this is due to the rectec rt-2500 probe placement and should be considered a feature rather than a problem.

Everything was ready within the timelines that I would expect at the set temperatures. The RT-2500 was rock solid in my opinion. No quirks noted. If any lesson was "re-learned" it was that I don't like foiled ribs. They tend to make the bit a little "mushy" but this is personnel taste.

I don't do large rib cooks very often, but I feel I could manage 24 full racks and maybe more. Lot's of real estate available here. :)

For the beef ribs, it might even be worth dropping the temp to 250 to get the maximum collagen conversion. Let them spend a little more time at a little lower temperature.

My RT is officially Rib Ready.
v/r r

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your techniques, I only wrap for 30 minutes after a 3 hour smoke at 250 left untouched, once that is over I kick up to 275F and baste the ribs with a good natural BBQ thinned out with some pineapple juice or apple juice for typically/roughly another 30 minutes. The wife likes fall off the bone "heresy", and the boy and I enjoy a bit of pull with a nice crispy bark "sometimes I will finish on the grill" for a bit more texture. :)

"At about the 2:30 mark, I had enough pull back on the beef back ribs to make me temp probe them. The beef ribs were all at about 275 degrees. I foiled wrapped the beef ribs and put them back on the grate."

Is this correct? seems to be overdone and probably close to charcoal.

NOPE>>>>> Thanks Thor. 175 degrees and I will edit the above. The chamber temp was at 275... maybe that's where I got that.

Great catch Thor, and thanks.

v/r r

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back