Roasted Smoked Boneless Leg of Lamb

JamesB

I slow smoked this 3.5 lb boneless leg of lamb three days ago. It was incredible the first time around.

Tonight is leftover night, and it better still after three days of resting in the fridge.

IMG_3210.jpeg

Thanks. This is my first time with a boneless leg of lamb. Incredibly straight forward cook, and awesome result even if I say so myself lol;
I occasionally do one on the gas grill rotisserie with a smoke box for flavoring. It is a little quicker cook, but I prefer the smokiness of one done on the pellet grill.

We love lamb on our Bull. Surprised more people don’t appear to have it on their menu.
A common explanation here in the USA is given Here. This explains 100% my FIL. I’ve tried it, again just recently, and I just don’t like it. The ‘gamey’ flavor from Australian 100% grass-fed protein is just off-putting to me. Not for me.

A common explanation here in the USA is given Here. This explains 100% my FIL. I’ve tried it, again just recently, and I just don’t like it. The ‘gamey’ flavor from Australian 100% grass-fed protein is just off-putting to me. Not for me.
That’s an interesting article, @Greg Jones, but aside from the WWII GI experience, it really doesn’t seem to explain much else (except, maybe, “mutton”). Yes, “lamb” has a stronger flavor. Some describe it as “gamey” and others just call it “strong” or “robust.” Personally, I just call it different.

We have a daughter-in-law who won’t eat lamb because she doesn’t like the flavor, and that’s OK. We just toss a burger, small steak or pork chop on the gas grill and she is happy. Like a lot of things, lamb is an acquired taste.

The article did state—and, I agree—that lamb (or mutton) needs a long slow cook. That’s why I prefer to cook boneless leg of lamb in the pellet smoker instead of via the gas grill rotisserie. It just needs time to break down the meat fibers.

Just out or curiosity, do you like venison or wild duck? Many people have the same “gamey” reaction to them. Both do have a much stronger flavor than beef, pork or even domestic duck.

Last edited:
Just out or curiosity, do you like venison or wild duck? Many people have the same “gamey” reaction to them. Both do have a much stronger flavor than beef, pork or even domestic duck.
Actually no, to the duck, I do not. I’ve tried two duck breasts and one whole duck in the last year from Wild Fork, and I’m just not a fan. However, domestic upland game like pheasant, bobtail quail, grouse, squirrel, venison I like a l lot probably because I grew up eating and hunting it.

Matt at Meat Church did a slow cook, pulled lamb leg recently is what inspired me to try it. Nope, not my jam.

I ate a lot of lamb when stationed in Scotland and Italy. We usually stopped at an agriturismo, which is a farm that raises, processes, cooks, and serves their raised live stock and grown vegetables. I haven't had any good lamb since then. I might have to give this a try. Looks great!

Actually no, to the duck, I do not. I’ve tried two duck breasts and one whole duck in the last year from Wild Fork, and I’m just not a fan. However, domestic upland game like pheasant, bobtail quail, grouse, squirrel, venison I like a l lot probably because I grew up eating and hunting it.

Matt at Meat Church did a slow cook, pulled lamb leg recently is what inspired me to try it. Nope, not my jam.
I have a duck recipe that will change your mind. Granted my duck is what i shoot in Arkansas but my kids nearly come to blows when there is only 1 stuffed breast left on the platter.

That looks good. Could you share your rub recipe?
The rub was simple as well. Dijon mustard, minced garlic, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh rosemary. I slathered that on everything and then sprinkled a small amount of a garlic herb rub from Omaha Steaks on it also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back