Rookie Smoker!

ajd543

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hey Guys! Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all of the great discussion, advice, etc. that has been generated within the forums. I'm finally making my way into the world of BBQ and also pellet grills. Other than basic high temp setups to grill, I don't have much experience - so I'm looking forward to the journey ahead. Being near the Louisiana border, I've grown up boiling crawfish/shrimp/crab/etc. forever and have some nice setups in that department though! Just figured it was time to get back to my Texas roots and get in to some real good cooking. :cool:
After months of lurking on YouTube, Fun Day Fridays, Websites, Forums, etc. I've finally jumped into the pool and purchased a RT-1250 earlier this week (waiting has been the hardest part)!
I've been able to answer a lot of questions along the way with all of the research I've been doing - but I'm extremely open to advice and suggestions from all angles. If anyone has some pointers for a rookie not just to Recteq (or Pellet Grills in general) but also to BBQ - I'm all ears! What are things you wish you knew when you first got started? What would you do different? Favorite break in proteins to cook? Should I put extra chips/pellets on the cast iron deflector the first few times to add more smoke/seasoning? Open to it all!
Anyways, thanks again for being an awesome community. Looking forward to participating more actively in the days, weeks, months and years ahead!

Probably should have posted this in Member Introductions - my apologies! Just noticed it lol.

First, welcome to the forum; we’re glad to have you join us here.

As for tips, my first would be “take it slow!” Since you are new to grilling/smoking, it will be like trying to drink from a fire hose. Cook some of the easier stuff first and get a feel for your grill. :ROFLMAO: Good luck.

Thank you! I definitely agree haha.. it's hard though not to want to go crazy with it. Ordered Wednesday and it' s already saying it's been given to the final agent for delivery here in my area in TX so hoping for a Friday miracle to come through just in time for the bday Sunday! :cool:

Welcome to the obsession
Fire away with any questions/problems you should encounter, we are all very helpful.
I appreciate it my friend! Hopefully will get everything set up tonight or tomorrow and looking forward to spending the bday all day Sunday just cooking, drinking beer and pool floating lol.

Welcome aboard. Many years of combines experience in this forum. If you have a question or an issue, I’m sure there is someone here that can walk you through it. Don’t hesitate to reach out. Happy Smoking!! 🍻

Appreciate all the support everyone! I was able to set it up and do the initial burn off yesterday finally. Cooking some chicken quarters and wings tonight and then probably will move to ribs and stuff then this weekend do a pork butt.

Does anyone with a 1250 or second rack have an opinion on using the top vs. bottom shelf? I wasn't sure if I should cook on the upper rack for seasoning purposes or just do everything down below.

My opinion which we all know how opinions are… each smoker will be different. Find your hotspots. I have a 1250 and use top and bottom rack, but depends on what I’m cooking and my desired smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back