Searing Kit

Daveschally

The RT youtube didn’t mention this or I missed it. Do you grease the flat side before firing up? I see for the grates you take an onion to season it

I used an onion on both sides.
I apologize for the interruption. Alpha… I like the way you sit. Is that a classic Slingerland drum set I see in your pic. I can‘t tell as it is only a teaser. I too am a percussionist and can appreciate your photo. One of my bucket list check off items was playing at the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame with a pickup band during a visit.

I apologize for the interruption. Alpha… I like the way you sit. Is that a classic Slingerland drum set I see in your pic. I can‘t tell as it is only a teaser. I too am a percussionist and can appreciate your photo. One of my bucket list check off items was playing at the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame with a pickup band during a visit.
Now, that sounds like fun!

No, the kit in the picture is a Pearl Masters Studio series with Sabian hand hammered cymbals. I play that kit when I am in a band that does southern rock (not for a couple of years now). Here is what the whole kit looks like (well, minus the China cymbal):

3CB3CA9F-2696-45C1-B37C-07738CA1E727.jpeg

Now, I am playing in classic rock, Motown, country, soul, dance, beach music party band and I play a Roland TD-17 kit with an acoustic Sabian hi-hat. I just couldn’t get used to the action of the electronic hi-hat. The electronic kit is much easier to tote around and set up/tear down. Much easier! And, it is nice to have a volume control on the drummer. 🙂 We can mix the sound of the whole band and keep that mix at whatever volume level is appropriate for the venue. I do loose some dynamic range with the e-kit. But, I have had several people (musicians that have sat in with us and audience members) tell me it is the best sounding e-kit they have ever heard. I did purchase some specially mixed kits for the TD-17 module from a company in Germany. The kit I play is supposed to sound like a Pearl Masters series. Here is a pic of that kit.

E90A4159-276C-4763-8132-B3324FA42819.jpeg

What do you play?

Very nice. I have an much older Roland kit and stopped playing many years ago when the wife and kiddo’s came into the picture but I miss the days of opening for some of the old bands on the South East Corridor during my college years. One of my favorite trips was going to watch them hand craft a couple of Zildjian cymbals just outside of Istambul, Turkey, that were destined for Constantinople, that I purchased for an old set I had. At that time I was standing on the crossroads of musician versus degreed aerospace engineer. It’s amazing how we can have so many points of connection that are positive on this thing called the “internet/interweb” yet so many lose their direction and vision because they won’t take the time to be compassionate.
Have a great 4th and to you, your family and friends I wish you the best and safest holiday ever.

You probably made the right call, but I guess you never know. I worked with a guy who had a friend that was cutting class all the time to practice with his band. He kept telling him he needed to straighten up and quit doing that. Concentrate on college and do music later. A couple of years later his band hit it big. They were known as REM. :)

I was the guy who did school and career first. I played more off and than on until about 10 years ago. I haven't played with anyone famous. But, some of the folks I have played with/play with did. There is a band here in middle GA called The Has Beens. It is a mix of former Stillwater and Doc Holiday players. They have an amazing sound! Anyway, if they are “has beens,” then I am a “never was.” But, I still enjoy it nonetheless.

Have a great 4th and beyond…

<<<We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Thanks four understanding.>>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rmiz64
Back