Bull Signs of rust?

I can't tell what we're looking at in the images, but this is from the web site.

"The RT-700 features 304 stainless steel grates, firepot, heat deflector, and drip pan."

I would think those parts won't rust, mine haven't, yet.
You nailed it. Btw that’s a picture of his hopper lid.

I'm seeing some signs of rust build up. I thought this grill was 100% stainless??? I keep my grill outside under patio roof most of the time covered with the black recteq cover. I think the Nickel content in the stainless is probably too low... Crappy Chinese stainless?

View attachment 14684
I've had a stainless steel grill for years (Fire Magic) & never preferred pellet grills because I heard they don't give good smoke flavor and never saw a stainless steel grill until reqtec (maybe I really didn't look).

My fire magic never had a spec of rust. Was told if a magnet sticks to the metal, is not quality stainless steel because it has high iron content. Try putting magnet to it.

After selling my house, I bought a rt-700 and put it to the magnet test. Nothing sticks. I'm happy with mine except for the low to no smoke flavor everyone advertises.

There are many different grades of stainless steel. Some have higher carbon content which makes it a harder steel. The higher the carbon content makes it magnetic. Food processing industry uses 304 and 316 grades typically. Less carbon less chance for rust. Different applications require different grades/metallurgies depending on temperatures and chemicals involved.
303, 304, 316, 321, 347, 440 etc...

I had bought the cover for my RT-700 but decided to not cover it even though I live in northern Ohio and it becomes snow covered on my backyard deck. The reasoning is I do not want to trap the moisture within the cover which I believe would exacerbate the possibility of rusting.

I have used my RT-700 a few times this winter and seems to be fine. My only concern is the electronic controls exposed to the snow and cold but again there is the same issue of moisture if I decided to use the cover.

I have had my RT700 for a year and a half and was surprised to see rust a month after the purchase. I keep my grill on a pool patio in Miami and the moisture plus chlorine Vapor rusts everything. I use Noxon metal polish (available on Amazon) for removing the rust and general polishing. The metal polish is also great for cleaning the smoke residue and polishing the paint. I then use “Corrosion Block” as a rust preventative. Simply spray the thin oil on a micro Fiber cloth and rub the stainless. It leaves a non sticky ultra thin barrier to moisture. I have had no problem with rust since and the RT700 looks like new. Good luck.

I have had my 590 for almost 2 years Bullseye for 1.5ish. I have not had an issue with rust. That being said I don't clean it much other than the fire pot, vents and grates. I would say my grills have a nice bronze and brown cooked on alot look, so if there is rust, it is smoke covered...... I think grease helps prevent rust...

Rec Teq says they use 304 stainless which is also the most common used type used in industry due to its high corrosion resistance.

Question for the OP.....Do you ever set grills, pans, racks, or other metal items on the pellet hopper lid? I have to wonder if there's been some transfer from those items causing the rust.

Here's some good tips on protecting SS: https://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Stainless-Steel
Not in the waste water industry. 304 won’t cut it. 316 is the industry standard.

Not in the waste water industry. 304 won’t cut it. 316 is the industry standard.
I said most commonly used in industry, (as a whole) which is fact.

We could break down each specific industry, but what would be the point?

🙄

We use the word stainless and when it was first invented, it was called stans-less, then Stansless and now stainless.

Perty neat.

Umm yeah Stainless does mean rust proof. It's in the word "Stainless". Unfortunately the industry and heavy marketing have watered that term down and cut costs in how it's manufactured. This ain't your grandpa's Stainless steel that's for sure. It's not like I have my grill on the bottom of the ocean. I'm pretty sure the conditions I listed, as my use cases, fall under what should be acceptable conditions for rust not to form. This wouldn't be happening if it were real/quality Stainless steel.

Umm yeah Stainless does mean rust proof. It's in the word "Stainless". Unfortunately the industry and heavy marketing have watered that term down and cut costs in how it's manufactured. This ain't your grandpa's Stainless steel that's for sure. It's not like I have my grill on the bottom of the ocean. I'm pretty sure the conditions I listed, as my use cases, fall under what should be acceptable conditions for rust not to form. This wouldn't be happening if it were real/quality Stainless steel.
So wrong. Stainless will rust, stain and corrode in the right environment. Stain less, is what it says and means stains less. Come on dude.

We'll have to disagree on this one.

From Reliance Foundry.......

Will stainless steel rust?​

Stainless steel is armed with built-in corrosion resistance but it can and will rust in certain conditions—although not as quickly or severely as conventional steels. Stainless steels corrode when exposed to damaging chemicals, saline, grease, moisture, or heat for prolonged periods of time.

Stainless steel’s protection against corrosion is largely dependent on the amount of chromium present. If there is not enough chromium content near the surface of the stainless steel, a new chromium oxide layer cannot be formed when the top layer is scratched off. This leaves the material very vulnerable to several types of corrosion.
Right, dude has no clue.

So wrong. Stainless will rust, stain and corrode in the right environment. Stain less, is what it says and means stains less. Come on dude.
Stainless (of many different grades) can rust. If you look at shipboard applications, high salt and humidity environments or similar, you may see initial discoloration followed by indications of compromise/corrosion. Many manufacturers mitigate the presence of rust with sufrace treatmenets but I would think that would be cost prohibitive for most grill/smoker based on the cost. If you are looking for a local treatment, be cautious as you don’t want to compromise any existing coating that may be applied to extend the life expectancy of SS. On a parallel path, if you get a Hestan, Lynx Professional. or similar cooker, you may find they address the “rust” issue quite well. My 20 year old Lynx has no signs of rust (even though I am not far from the ocean) and carries a lifetime warranty against rust and its impacts. The current price for my rig is approximately $16K which made my Bull or a Yoder a very attractive solution, but it is definitely a case of “you get what you pay for”. YMMV.

Did the OP hit the top with some SS cleaner yet? If its rust-- then the SS cleaner wont make a difference.. If its just shipping smeg on top-- then that will come off..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back