Stampede slight bend at top of lid, any concern?

aamike68

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey folks im new here but I just received my stampede a few days ago. Love the thing! Already cooked 3 racks of spare ribs that turned out amazing. During the initial burn in I heard a pang or bong noise which im assuming was the lid warping out of place. I noticed smoked streaming out from the top which is probably normal since the lid is not sealed. The fit is damn near perfect all the way around but the slight bend on tip is annoying. Its not effecting my cooks of course, just an asthetics issue. Anyone else have this problem? Just wanted to see how common or uncommon it is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Same thing happened to my 340... Now that you mention it- I remember one time hearing a big bang too- I wasn't sure if it came from my grill or what but seeing you say that makes me wonder if it was the same thing. Mine was also warped in the same way you mentioned... Rectec reached out to me and promptly offered to send me a new lid.

I never noticed my lid being warped like that except for seeing the smoke which i thought was normal due to everyone saying "its designed to breath". I noticed it after I was trying to seal my lid with the gasket tape and noticed even with the sealant it was still smoking which made me look at it from the back and notice it was warped in the middle.

I have a 590, zero issues with the lid warping. Id give old RT a call, they'll get a new lid out too you, i'm almost certain.

With a straight edge, is it the barrel or the lid that's warped? I don't know if a 1/8 door seal would fix that or not. Let us know what customer service says.

Thanks for all the replies guys, Ill be getting in touch with customer service tomorrow and will report back with their reply.

With a straight edge, is it the barrel or the lid that's warped? I don't know if a 1/8 door seal would fix that or not. Let us know what customer service says.
Just to be clear, I didnt say that a 1/8th door seal will fix it (if you were referring to my comment). The message I was trying to convey is that I found out my lid was warped because i noticed the lid still had a gap even after I sealed it. I could visually see, as did Rectec that my lid was warped in the middle exactly like OP's lid. (With the exception that I had a 340)

Sent support an email this morning and received a phone call a few hours later. They asked if performance was effected by the lid, like any temp swings which I said no. They informed me that the lids are supposed to "breath", thats normal operation for some smoke to escape around the lid, and asked if I would like a replacement. I said yes and I already received the shipping notification. Once again another awesome customer service story. Have a pork butt on the stampede right now since this morning, smells great!

Sent support an email this morning and received a phone call a few hours later. They asked if performance was effected by the lid, like any temp swings which I said no. They informed me that the lids are supposed to "breath", thats normal operation for some smoke to escape around the lid, and asked if I would like a replacement. I said yes and I already received the shipping notification. Once again another awesome customer service story. Have a pork butt on the stampede right now since this morning, smells great!
Kudos to Rec Tec for sending you out another lid.

Issue, no. Lids are supposed to breath is also a cop out. All grills are designed for airflow a specific way and lid breathing is not part of that calculation also the reason they first asked if had any other issues. Now dont get me wrong, i love my grill with all its quirks and problems (nothing major just stuff like this). It just irks me to no end when i hear crap like this expressed as planned feature.

Issue, no. Lids are supposed to breath is also a cop out. All grills are designed for airflow a specific way and lid breathing is not part of that calculation also the reason they first asked if had any other issues. Now dont get me wrong, i love my grill with all its quirks and problems (nothing major just stuff like this). It just irks me to no end when i hear crap like this expressed as planned feature.
It's no different when a car dealer try's to convince you what your experiencing is normal operation for your vehicle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back