Smoke Daddy The “Heavy D” Stick Burning Heat Diffuser

Snook

Grill(s) owned
RT-680
First smoke with the heavy D. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was never happy with the tubes and I didn’t want to drill a hole in my rec tec for the big kahuna cold smoke unit. This is a video 1.5 hours into my homemade bacon smoke. It’s held its temp at 225 the entire time so far. I haven’t needed to prop the lid open to maintain temp. Ordered two fire bricks from Lowe’s to set the heavy d on since you have to place it sideways to fit in the rec tec 680. What an ingenious product for pellet smokers. I added a few pics just in case the video won’t play for you. I can never get videos to play. Pictures sometimes don’t show all the smoke.

View attachment IMG_7609.MOV
48BEB38F-A7C3-4DF7-B8D6-291E37560891.jpeg 41F8A4BD-ACD9-4B5B-ACCF-F89F62264618.jpeg 313F22BA-8961-4EB2-A8BD-550F3B29D980.jpeg

Last edited:

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
Stampede
I’m glad you posted this. My heavy d just arrived today.

Couldn’t get the video to work. Did you load up both sides to start? What temp didyou start it at?

Blues1

IF I have any trouble with mine warping, I'm getting one. Love the idea of the sticks on each side IF you want more smoke

Snook

Grill(s) owned
RT-680
I’m glad you posted this. My heavy d just arrived today.

Couldn’t get the video to work. Did you load up both sides to start? What temp didyou start it at?
I had the wood they provided in both sides. I set the grill to 275 and let it warm up. By the time it got to 275 I was getting great smoke so I turned it down to 225 and began my cook. I had great smoke throughout my entire cook and it was still smoking when I finished. It was at least 4 hours of smoke. This is what I purchased at Lowe’s to get the exact height I needed. Gray Clay Fire Bricks (6-pack). Just needed one on each side of the burner and put the heavy d right on the fire bricks. It made it the exact height of my original heat defuser. I was amazed how well it worked. Wasn’t expecting it to work so well. It was the exact solution I’ve been searching for the past year. I love that I can use it when I want more smoke or go without. It‘s amazing. Wish you could view the video. Not sure why they don’t work. It was taken with my iPhone.

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
Stampede
That’s awesome. I have the stampede so I assume it should fit just like the old diffuser. Think I’ll try 275 then crank it down a little once I see more smoke.

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
Stampede
Maybe a pic of the HD in place as you've installed it would be helpful for those interested.

Snook

Grill(s) owned
RT-680
If you don’t add the bricks or something else to raise the SD, it would almost sit right on the fire box. With the bricks, you have the same height as the original heat diffuse.

Latest posts