Smoked Salt

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
While I was running the Bull for the smoked cheese, I decided I'd do some smoked salt. I had last done this more than 5 years ago on my komado. I've also done it on the offset, but that is an exercise in huge fuel use vs product.

If you haven't done this before, you'll be surprised the added smoke flavor smoked salt can add to common foods. But it takes a lot of time on the smoker. How long it takes on the Bull is part of my little experiment. It's been about 3 1/2 hours at this point. The color is starting to develop. I think it took about 5-6 hours on my other smokers. It may take longer on the pellet grill. We'll see. Like any bbq, it's done when it's done.
20200101_155232_resized.jpg

following, im been wanting to do this for quite sometime. So looking forward to temp / time and how it turned out.

ifican, it will surely take a lot of time on smoke. I'm running at LO. Its been about 3 hours or so. I think 6 hours is going to be ok. You want it potent so it differentiates itself from regular salt. If you are a light salter, you want more smoke on it. It should have a light brown color to it when done.

Between the cheese and the salt smoking, I'm smelling pretty smoky. I never thought the pellet smoker could put out this concentration of smoke. Glad it's cherry. My favorite.

Smoked salt is awesome. I especially like on something like pan seared cod. It takes something simple to a whole new level.

On that note have you heard of smoked ice?

oh dont get me wrong i love smoked salt. I have a few different ones now in the cabinet. But i have always wanted to do it just never got around to actually pulling the trigger. Just waiting on the cliff notes and then im going to give it a try.

Not much to report. I left it in the smoker for close to 9 hours. It was turning brown, but still pretty light. I gave in and shut it down and went to bed. I had so much smoke up my nose, I couldn't taste any smoke on the salt. I'll give it a try later. But it was a bit lighter then I had gotten on my komado.

Sorry but the unlearned must ask: what salt do you recommend, be it table salt, sea salt, kosher salt, etc.

Just to follow up, the salt came out great. I've been using it on eggs and whatever else i add salt to. It adds a nice smokyness to a stovetop dish. I also used it mixed in some butter to push up under the skin of a spatched yardbird that I grilled. Good stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back