Smoked salt?

wildblue

Anyone smoked salt before? Is it really just 'pile it on a cookie sheet and smoke for 2 hours'? Going to try it this weekend I think. Hickory salt is supposed to be good in all kinds of stuff.

Can't say I've ever tried it, but I'm interested in hearing how it turns out as well.

IMG_20180903_155309422.jpg

So here's what I have so far....

Put a cookie sheet of salt on with the ribs yesterday. Hickory in the hopper, amazntube full of hickory as well. Left it in there for about 3 hours.
Since we were experimenting, we did half the sheet in a coarse kosher salt, and the other half a fine sea salt. The sea salt had much more of a color change, but my very unscientific taste testing shows that the kosher seemed to take more smoke. Maybe that'll be different if we grind it? You can taste the hickory in both though - really interested to use this in some recipes and rubs.
You can see where I stirred it a little after pulling it off. I think next time I might shake the pan a little during or do a better job spreading it thin to start. Ultimately, I think something like a frying pan splatter guard would be best - but the only one I have at the moment has a plastic handle. Let me know if you give it a shot - this might go up there with garlic as a 'if you have room, throw some on there'
Now I wonder how pepper would do....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back