Smokerbox

Nrothrock

I have a RecTeq 1100 Flagship and I also purchased a side smoker box. Does anyone have experience with the temperatures that are created by my smoker settings and the temperatures I should expect on the side box. The top half of smoker box is hotter and the lower half lower. Looking for an approximate temperature graft if available. I am planning on smoke salmon and some cheddar cheese. I need lower temperatures than I have seen thus far. Any recommendations?

I have a RecTeq 1100 Flagship and I also purchased a side smoker box. Does anyone have experience with the temperatures that are created by my smoker settings and the temperatures I should expect on the side box. The top half of smoker box is hotter and the lower half lower. Looking for an approximate temperature graft if available. I am planning on smoke salmon and some cheddar cheese. I need lower temperatures than I have seen thus far. Any recommendations?
Nrothrock,

Can you provide additional details such as the manufacturer of your device or if it is powered with a forced air fan or manual (i.e., smoketube, foil packets, etc.). In general you don’t want to put it too close the chamber’s probe, and make sure it is smoking not showing a flame and burning. I also don’t put it near the “thin” end of my proteins as it will raise the temp for anything that is adjacent to its location a little. When I use it, I don’t typically see a temp differential of more that 6-10F chamber rise when used properly. YMMV and happy cookin’

Welcome to the forum.
I’m going to assume you are talking about the Recteq smoke box that bolts onto the right side of the smoker. I can’t answer the temperature differential question because I don’t have one.
As for smoking cheese I use a smoke tube and run the smoker’s fan in test mode to keep the smoke moving. You could place the cheese in the smoke box so it is nowhere near the smoke tube and you’d still get plenty of smoke as the fan pushes it thru.
Hopefully someone with a smoke box will chime in with an answer to the temperature question. If you want to test you could run you smoker with a probe in the smoke box to get the difference. You could also run it on low with ice in the smoke box to see if you can keep the temp low enough to smoke cheese. My guess it you can’t.

Nrothrock,

Can you provide additional details such as the manufacturer of your device or if it is powered with a forced air fan or manual (i.e., smoketube, foil packets, etc.). In general you don’t want to put it too close the chamber’s probe, and make sure it is smoking not showing a flame and burning. I also don’t put it near the “thin” end of my proteins as it will raise the temp for anything that is adjacent to its location a little. When I use it, I don’t typically see a temp differential of more that 6-10F chamber rise when used properly. YMMV and happy cookin’
IMG_3936.jpeg

I have a 1100 flagship and their smoke side box for lower temperature by recteq. Played today at the lowest setting. I get 150 on top and 105 on bottom on the side box. The lowest setting for recteq is 180. The smoker has lots of programming not sure if anyone has experience and if getting 150 on the main grill is possible.

View attachment 21041
I have a 1100 flagship and their smoke side box for lower temperature by recteq. Played today at the lowest setting. I get 150 on top and 105 on bottom on the side box. The lowest setting for recteq is 180. The smoker has lots of programming not sure if anyone has experience and if getting 150 on the main grill is possible.
Thanks for the update. I thought you had an accessory (non-OEM) unit for increasing smoke levels. The smoke box is just the opposite, it/they maintain a lower temperature for smoke chamber/box through the collection of cooler smoke than the cooking chamber. They are great as a holding oven/warming oven. Many use them for jerky, veggies spices and cheese. You don’t have to worry about the smoke box altering the chamber temperature as the controller and design compensate for the transition away from the fire source by design. If you want to increase the level of smoke during your cooks, this site is very helpful. Keep us posted on your future cooks. Good luck.

I have the recteq smoke box and your observations about the temps and zones inside the box is what I experience as well. As was mentioned, a smoke tube n the main chamber with the fan turned on manually via the test mode is the best way to smoke cheese. For smoked salmon, a container of ice in the smoke box might get you temps in the range you want. recteq used to call this a cold smoke box, but many people complained because it is not and they dropped the word cold.

Can you just crack open the cold smoke box? Yep you lose some smoke, but you lose heat too.
Otherwise mess with the temp offset of the probe in the menus. Or maybe both.

I have a 1070 and just use a separate pellet tray like @Greg Jones said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.