Stampede Smoking on a warm day

tmcmaster007

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Today was probably the warmest it's been in Michigan this year. I've cooked several times and this thing has been within 2 degrees very consistently. My preset today was 230. It overshot that temp by 45 degrees and didn't get within 20 degrees of my set temp for 40 minutes. Overshot set temp the entire 1.5 hr cook by a minimum of 12 degrees, mostly more. How does everyone compensate for warmer temperature day cooks? Should I even have to compensate?

Today was probably the warmest it's been in Michigan this year. I've cooked several times and this thing has been within 2 degrees very consistently. My preset today was 230. It overshot that temp by 45 degrees and didn't get within 20 degrees of my set temp for 40 minutes. Overshot set temp the entire 1.5 hr cook by a minimum of 12 degrees, mostly more. How does everyone compensate for warmer temperature day cooks? Should I even have to compensate?
Try lowering the feed rate down, it should help maintain the low temp high ambient temp cooks your looking for a lot better.

Last edited:
Move it out of the direct sun. I posted sometime last week about the effect of the sun beating down on the smoker. Moving it out of the sun had pretty much an immediate impact on temp spikes.

Unfortunately, my back yard is pretty much full sun all the time. Good thing is I live in MI which is only full sun about 25% of the time.

I deal with the same issue here in South Carolina when doing long cooks. As @Bytor mentioned theres a few post about this issue. Including one I wrote.

I havent messed with the feed rate. It's still at the factory set point. When I start seeing the temp rise due to sun I just lower the set point on the cooker. I've learned now that if I drop the set point 5 to 10 degrees the sun will make that up getting back to or close to my set point. Once the sun changes location to where I cook, I just bring my set cooking temp back up. It's been working for me so I stick with it...

I deal with the same issue here in South Carolina when doing long cooks. As @Bytor mentioned theres a few post about this issue. Including one I wrote.

I havent messed with the feed rate. It's still at the factory set point. When I start seeing the temp rise due to sun I just lower the set point on the cooker. I've learned now that if I drop the set point 5 to 10 degrees the sun will make that up getting back to or close to my set point. Once the sun changes location to where I cook, I just bring my set cooking temp back up. It's been working for me so I stick with it...
I don't get sun until a little later in the afternoon and thats when my bull's temp kept rising. set at 180, cooking at 260. Called Rec Tec and was asked to lower feed rate to 3, did and done. No issues with afternoon sun. I'll see if it keeps working. ??

I don't get sun until a little later in the afternoon and thats when my bull's temp kept rising. set at 180, cooking at 260. Called Rec Tec and was asked to lower feed rate to 3, did and done. No issues with afternoon sun. I'll see if it keeps working. ??

After you adjusted the min feed rate, have you noticed any issues with the temps when cooking at higher temps? To add, I am in Southern California so our 'cold' is still shorts and sandals weather.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back