Spatchcock Chicken

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,

I hope everyone is enjoying the lead up to the holidays!

Nothing really exciting here, but wanted to share my cook tonight. I am trying to think back real hard, but I think this is my first spatchcock chicken cook on my RT. My wife bought a whole chicken with the intention of breaking out our old Popiel (spelling) rotisserie oven. She then asked if I could cook it on the pit......well duh! I have done a Cornish hen, but this is the first full chicken.

Spatchcocked the 8# bird, rubbed with a little olive oil (used virgin olive oil, not EVOO). I threw together a mixture of rubs by of my favorite all purpose BBQ rub, Weber's chili lime rub, and Rec Tec Jamie's Greek Rub.

I let those flavors sit on the bird while I got the pit to 190. Bird probably sat with the seasoning about 30 minutes while the pit heated up (it was 28F ambient here in NJ). Bird went on the pit for 1 hour with pit temp set at 190 and extreme smoke mode (yeah, I have the old school controller, I have the upgraded controller on my BBQ shelf in the closet, but have not installed the unit on my pit yet).

After 1 hour bumped the temp up to 425 until I had a breast reading of 163. I probed/temped the thigh and it was cooked through everywhere. I pulled and rested for about 5 minutes. This was probably the best bird I have made. I have never been a fan of rotisserie chicken, so I was more than happy my wife asked if I could do it on the pit, and it did not disappoint.

The final picture with the bird plated only include 1 breast sliced. My wife wanted to keep one whole since we would not finish everything anyway.

Making chili tomorrow, but nothing on the pit!

Spatch.JPG
Spatch on pit.JPG
Spatch coming off pit.JPG
Spatch cut on plate.JPG

Looks great, I just bought an air chilled bird and I plan to do that soon.
Greg

Hey I agree, photos are a must.
Also I would encourage everyone to post step by step how they did the smoke. This will help new and seasoned bbq users to refine the perfect smoke!
Best Greg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back