Bull Spatchcock question

I've never flipped a spatchcocked chicken over, I just let it ride. Anyone do this to make crispier skin?

I don't flip it either and haven't heard of anyone flipping spatchcock but, I'm sure somewhere, somebody does. I'm gonna try on the skin again for Xmas. Not sure which method yet or temp...

I've never flipped a spatchcocked chicken over, I just let it ride. Anyone do this to make crispier skin?
I have seen this done, Steven Raichlen did a Video of this, with a twist. He used a salt slab with it, first part of the cook with the chicken skin down on the grate, salt slab on top, then finished it with the skin up, chicken on top of the salt slab. I have a slab and I want to try this, but haven’t yet.

I flip and turn spatchcocked chicken when done indirect over charcoal but haven't tried it on the RT, being more like an oven with fairly even heat.

I started cooking mine skin side down first for about 30 min and then flip it and put in my probes. I was seeing that at lower temps the legs and thighs would hit over 200* IT and the breast wasn’t done.

Are you custom cutting the wood that you use? I have the same diffuser.
I buy logs and cut with miter saw if too big. I sometimes buy 2x2 precut wood off Amazon if I’m looking for A particular type of wood I can‘t buy logs of from Lowe’s.

Are you custom cutting the wood that you use? I have the same diffuser.
If needed, I cut with miter saw. Sometimes the log size I buy are too long or wide. I also get 2x2 precut wood off Amazon. They work really well but pricier then logs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back