St. Louis Ribs Recipes

Cokeman

My wife came home with a couple of racks of St. Louis ribs. I haven’t cooked these before. Can any of you point me to some recipes that I can use?

My wife came home with a couple of racks of St. Louis ribs. I haven’t cooked these before. Can any of you point me to some recipes that I can use?

Do you like spicy, sweet, savory?

As far as cooking I’m in the rub ‘em, give them a few minutes to sweat, put them on at 225 and let ’em run till they are tender (I use the bend test). I wrapped on my drum smoker but prefer them unwrapped on the pellet smoker.

I check them occasionally during the cook to see if they need a spritz. Usually 5ish hours till done. It can take longer depending on the ribs and weather. You can use a towel (Franklin method) or tongs (most people’s method) to check the bend on the ribs, or you can probe and check temps. It’s hard to get good temp readings on ribs because the bones are so close. I use the bend test.

The simple method is the classic 3-2-1 all at 225 and meat side up. Brush with yellow mustard, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne on both sides. Wrap them at 3 hours with some apple juice in the foil boat. Unwrap 2 hours later, brush on your favorite sauce and cook for another hour.

I've always cooked them the same as Waterboy, except I probably apply salt and rub a bit earlier. I spritz them with some liquid (usually apple juice, about once an hour or if/when I remember.

I think I might try the 3-2-1 method next time to see if it turns out differently. The no-wrap method turned out good. We are all sick from eating too much. How do they look?

89B53190-B390-4008-A346-7A7F3E0A3BA6.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back