Super Smoke Mode tips for overnight brisket

MillerTime1024

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Im going to be doing a brisket this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me tips on using the super smoke mode. Is it worth setting at for a couple of hours on an overnight cook? Or...is leaving it at say 225 degrees throughout the night better? The brisket that I will be smoking is about 14 lbs not trimmed.

Im going to be doing a brisket this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me tips on using the super smoke mode. Is it worth setting at for a couple of hours on an overnight cook? Or...is leaving it at say 225 degrees throughout the night better? The brisket that I will be smoking is about 14 lbs not trimmed.
At those two settings your not going to see a whole lot of difference, if you got the time use the extreme smoke, 180 degree setting. Brisket can be a PITA best to start early and wrap it foil then old towels and put it in a pre warmed up cooler to keep it warm, it sucks when you have to wait or push it to get done.

I have the general knowledge of smoking but, i am a new stampede owner and looking to get the best results

I have the general knowledge of smoking but, i am a new stampede owner and looking to get the best results
Your going to find what ever worked for you in the past will work on your new RT-590. Just remember every piece of meat cooks different and for meats like this it's better to get it done early instead of pushing it with extra temperature at the end of the cook. Brisket also needs to rest before slicing it.

There is more smoke at 180° (extreme smoke) mode. But an option you have is to add smoke while cooking at 225°/235° if time is an issue.
Buy using a smoketube or placing wood chunks on the deflector. This will give you more smoke without sacrificing alot of cook time.... Just an option. I use my smoketube for every cook regardless of temp. I just like "more smoke" all the time. Plus you can cold smoke with the smoke tube * a solid 20$ investment.

My favorite wood flavor for beef is mesquite. You shouldn't need to run at LO/180 to get enough mesquite smoke flavor. It's intense. Last one I did I used a mix of mesquite and oak.

There is more smoke at 180° (extreme smoke) mode. But an option you have is to add smoke while cooking at 225°/235° if time is an issue.
Buy using a smoketube or placing wood chunks on the deflector. This will give you more smoke without sacrificing alot of cook time.... Just an option. I use my smoketube for every cook regardless of temp. I just like "more smoke" all the time. Plus you can cold smoke with the smoke tube * a solid 20$ investment.
Buckeye- have you just used the smoking tube (bull off) to cold smoke? ??

Yes a small block of cheese ..I thought it turned out pretty good. Give it a try, let me know what ya think.
I’m going to give it a try. I have a Bradley digital smoker that I bought a cold smoke box for that I have used many times to make smoked salmon. but it is a pain to set up. I’m going to try the Smoking tube in the Bull. Worth the try. Thanks ??

I would skip the overnight cook, not needed. 14 lb untrimmed I would do this.
  • Trim - save fat for tallow
  • spark it up early (0600) at 180 for 2 hours
  • then up to 275 till probe tender and 195-205 IT
  • wrap and rest.
  • eat
should be less than 12 hours easy. I have abandoned low and slow briskets and cant tell the difference. I feel better running it at 180 when its cold to get as much smoke on early.

you can skip the 180 for two hours all together as well and 275 the whole time

I was planning on doing an overnight cook so that it would be done around lunch time on Monday for family

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back