Stampede Temp issues spontaneously

ndfan6464

Active Military
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So started a smoke at 10am today, doing some St. Louis pork ribs set at 225. After 3 hrs I started my normal routine of spritzing every hour. At the 6.5-7hr the temperature shot up to 236- 250 and is having issues coming down back down to 225.

Lid is open for maybe 5 sec. Just long enough for a quick spritz. For the most part the smokers had been dead on or +/-1 degree.

Any known reasons?

Is cooker in direct sunlight with high ambient air temperature? If so shade it and see if it comes down.
Also, are you using same pellets you have used previously or did you switch?

Last edited:
Is cooker in direct sunlight with high ambient air temperature? If so shade it and see if it comes down.
Also, are you using same pellets you have used previously or did you switch?

Man so funny you should mention that. I just went and checked on the ribs and thought about how the smoker is now getting alot of sun on the backside of it and that could be the issue.. using the same pellets that I always use.

Unfortunately/ fortunately since the temp spiked so high the ribs are done before I could test your theory of direct sun light...

It only makes sense thought that were my smoker sits and the time of day it is here on the East coast, the sun starts to set on that side of the house... I'll have to keep a watchful eye next time on the time and when and if the temp rises... never had it happen before so odd.. Smoker is in the same spot everytime..

Hard to say, but direct sunlight on a hot day can add 15-20 degrees to pit. I had to shade mine a couple weeks ago because of that issue. Thinking out loud here, I wonder if a welding blanket would insulate it from the sun as it insulates from cold in winter. I may give that a try next cook.

Yeah you're absolutely right about the sun playing havoc..

The welding blanket could work...let me know how it does if you give it a shot...

For what it’s worth, mine spiked almost 20 degrees late yesterday afternoon - It had been in direct sunlight for at least an hour by the time I realized the temp had risen so high. Up to that point the temps had been very stable. The grill is still new to me (only three cooks) & I’m still in the process of figuring it out!
BTW - the welding blanket sounds like an interesting idea, please let us know how it turns out

The Rec Tec app has alarm settings for pit temp and food temp. It will give you warning that temps are spiking on you. Last time I used them, they worked great. Another tool the RT guys provide you with your cooker.

My Alarm never went off when it went past 225. Which was another reason I didnt notice it till late...

Make sure you have the latest update. Mine was like that until I updated.

Its running the newest version. The meat prob alarms work. But the cooking temp has never gone off that I can remember

If you don't know how to check which version of update you have click on the "More" link of the app opening page. On that page will be a link to "version". I believe the latest version is 1.5.1.

Screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190714-202413_RECTEC.jpg
    Screenshot_20190714-202413_RECTEC.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 91
Hmmmmm.…………..I wonder if the version number relates to the phone op system. The number in parenthesis on mine is 270, yours 240. Mine is an iPhone, and when I hit the "check update" link it says I have the latest version available. Are you android?

I had issues with my 680 maintaining temps at the low end. Customer service talked me through a programming change on the phone and it's been solid ever since.

Yeah you're absolutely right about the sun playing havoc..

The welding blanket could work...let me know how it does if you give it a shot...

Bought a 4' x 6' welder blanket at Harbor Freight. Made the cut outs for the smoke vents and handles. I secure it in place with strong magnets I have laying around. I got some baby back ribs in the cooker now with the welding blanket in place. Ambient air temp is 90 with constant sun on cooker. It has been rock solid at 225 for three hours.

Attachments

• IMG_8160.jpeg
    IMG_8160.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 137
Wow man that's really impressive...so you've got about another 3 hours till your done?

Have to let me know how it goes the rest of the way. It was about the last 1.5hrs that I had temps increase which about the time the sun was finally over the smoker...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back