The flat is better than the point, to me.

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
My brisket turned out awesome. For once the cook went exactly as planned thanks to the people on this website, thank you all for your help. The Brisket was tender, maybe a little to tender at the point. It was a sam's club Prime 16.62 pounder with a little over 4lbs trimmed, part of the flat was cut and frozen for a future date because of it's size, and the trimmed flat and point that was cooked was about 8lbs. It rendered, it rendered a lot. Appx 5 cups of liquid fat came out of this and I promise it was trimmed well. The flat was eaten quickly and was delicious. The point was delicious also but still had soft fat even after it rendered and I pulled out more while carving. I was cleaning up rendered fat everywhere. As I woke up this morning with only a small portion of leftovers, I realized the flat will be all that I need going forward. Keep in mind that while I was trimming I carved both sides of the point off, a little over 4lbs of trimmings in all. Clean up would have been easy as I use a pan, but when I picked up the butcher paper it broke open and filled my grease bucket, when wrapped I removed the pan. There was grease in the cooler, and there was still appx 1 cup still in the wrap.

I think a prime flat will be all that I need in the future. Was this a normal experience or maybe just a brisket that was a little different than normal?

Thanks
Old Bull.

My brisket turned out awesome. For once the cook went exactly as planned thanks to the people on this website, thank you all for your help. The Brisket was tender, maybe a little to tender at the point. It was a sam's club Prime 16.62 pounder with a little over 4lbs trimmed, part of the flat was cut and frozen for a future date because of it's size, and the trimmed flat and point that was cooked was about 8lbs. It rendered, it rendered a lot. Appx 5 cups of liquid fat came out of this and I promise it was trimmed well. The flat was eaten quickly and was delicious. The point was delicious also but still had soft fat even after it rendered and I pulled out more while carving. I was cleaning up rendered fat everywhere. As I woke up this morning with only a small portion of leftovers, I realized the flat will be all that I need going forward. Keep in mind that while I was trimming I carved both sides of the point off, a little over 4lbs of trimmings in all. Clean up would have been easy as I use a pan, but when I picked up the butcher paper it broke open and filled my grease bucket, when wrapped I removed the pan. There was grease in the cooler, and there was still appx 1 cup still in the wrap.

I think a prime flat will be all that I need in the future. Was this a normal experience or maybe just a brisket that was a little different than normal?

Thanks
Old Bull.
The "flats" are usually $8 per pound so I started using the whole packer at $3 or so per pound to be frugal :cool:

""The "flats" are usually $8 per pound so I started using the whole packer at $3 or so per pound to be frugal""

That is a good point.

The point is better for burnt ends, as you can render out more of the fat from the individual chunks that are cut. Otherwise, it's very fatty.

The more we smoke them the more we learn. What we enjoy the most is what keep trying to get better at it. Do what you like. Try different things when you are able. If you ate all of it nothing lost.

I enjoy it all. Leanest for sandwiches, other gets diced and used in dishes. I cook mine on the grate until I wrap, so a lot of the rendered fat hits the drip pan. When I "wrap", I put it in a foil pan, add a dark beer and cover tightly with foil. Once done, I separate the fat from the liquid and keep the juices with the meat. I'm getting hungry. Time to get another brisket!

I agree if you are straight slicing, but as soon as you smoke and remove the point when the flat is done and chunk it for burnt ends - best of both worlds....

My kids will fight you for some flat - they will shoot you for some burnt ends.....

Thanks
Old Bull.
For those who like Brisket, I wonder if you wouldn't enjoy it better if you went online and found some 20 or 30 day dry aged grain-fed Beef that it was cut from. I really personally would rather have Choice cut of that kind of Beef as opposed to prime wet aged packages that you get at stores like Safeway, Costco And all the rest. I don't think any of the Regular brand stores carry good beef anymore.

I agree, yummy!

The point is better for burnt ends, as you can render out more of the fat from the individual chunks that are cut. Otherwise, it's very fatty.
Just did a whole one for the super bowl. Made the flat brisket and the point burnt ends. I too prefer the flat. Just finished a most delicious piece. Not sure it will make it to the super bowl

Just did a whole one for the super bowl. Made the flat brisket and the point burnt ends. I too prefer the flat. Just finished a most delicious piece. Not sure it will make it to the super bowl
You do know that if you eat the evidence, no one will ever know o_O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back