There's no going back...

Have you ever happened upon a product that you liked as a young kid/adult and said what they heck, for old time sake I remember being fond of this? Today's tragedy is Open Pit BBQ sauce. Not only is the taste not there - I can see my plate through the drops of sauce that are on my plate because the sauce is so thin. I know it was never great, just like Boone's Farm and Little Caesar's never were great either. Should have just stuck with the memories.
What else have you guys gone back to that has disappointed? Even better, is there anything you gone back to that is just as good today as it was back then?
Eclairs. The standard used to be filling them with a luscious cream pudding for a filling.

While you can find them occasionally, todayā€™s eclairs, as a norm, come with a ā€œcreme fillingā€ thatā€™s really nothing more a sugary, fake whipped cream fillingā€¦almost like a Twinkie filling. Thatā€™s not Good Eats in my book.

OK, just as good as back then (or as bad as it was back then, depending on your POV) Iā€™m going with SPAM. Iā€™m frying some up with eggs this morning and SPAM has absolutely not changed since day one.
Greg, clearly it has not changed. SPAM has a shelf life of 2000 years, maybe more. So they made tons of it during the first year of production back in the late 30ā€™s and still selling from that batch today - thats why it looks, feels, and tastes the same today LOL :)

spam GIF

Spam Burnt Ends

Greg, clearly it has not changed. SPAM has a shelf life of 2000 years, maybe more. So they made tons of it during the first year of production back in the late 30ā€™s and still selling from that batch today - thats why it looks, feels, and tastes the same today LOL :)
Iā€™m not a big SPAM eater, or of any processed meats for that matter, but I do buy some occasionally. My local groceries sold out of basically 3 things at the height of the pandemic-toilet paper, eggs, and SPAM! I never would have believed it-I once sent my wife a picture of the empty shelves!

Have you ever happened upon a product that you liked as a young kid/adult and said what they heck, for old time sake I remember being fond of this? Today's tragedy is Open Pit BBQ sauce. Not only is the taste not there - I can see my plate through the drops of sauce that are on my plate because the sauce is so thin. I know it was never great, just like Boone's Farm and Little Caesar's never were great either. Should have just stuck with the memories.
What else have you guys gone back to that has disappointed? Even better, is there anything you gone back to that is just as good today as it was back then?
This makes me sad about the Open Pit. Was thinking about it not long ago. I remember as a kid that was the only sauce we used at home. Dad grilling chicken on the charcoal grill, doing exactly what the ad said..."lay it on thick."

Those were great summers and I was thinking of reliving a bit of it by grilling some chicken on charcoal and "laying it on thick".....now I need to decide if I want to risk being let down by not being able to recreate what I remember. I can still taste that chicken from years ago.....

This makes me sad about the Open Pit. Was thinking about it not long ago. I remember as a kid that was the only sauce we used at home. Dad grilling chicken on the charcoal grill, doing exactly what the ad said..."lay it on thick."

Those were great summers and I was thinking of reliving a bit of it by grilling some chicken on charcoal and "laying it on thick".....now I need to decide if I want to risk being let down by not being able to recreate what I remember. I can still taste that chicken from years ago.....
You would have to simmer it for a while to reduce it down to an acceptable thickness. Even then, itā€™s not going to be the same flavor. Iā€™ll either have to doctor it somehow, or use it as braising liquid where it will thicken as it cooks. Like in short ribs.

Last edited:
I think I had some of the early production Spam in my Army rations. šŸ¤£

OK, just as good as back then (or as bad as it was back then, depending on your POV) Iā€™m going with SPAM. Iā€™m frying some up with eggs this morning and SPAM has absolutely not changed since day one.

I will often open up a can of spam and toss it on when I making other things, just to have later for sandwiches or breakfast.
Good stuff.

variety.jpg

Saw an old girlfriend last year. OMG. Not going back. 'course it was over 40 years ago.

Saw an old girlfriend last year. OMG. Not going back. 'course it was over 40 years ago.
Dang, like I needed that image in my head and Iā€™ve never seen any (that I know of) your old girlfriends. But then, the image looking back at me in the morning mirror isnā€™t great either! šŸ˜€

In our old age, we slowed down on it. But Spam, sliced 1/4" thick and fried to crisp, a couple fried eggs and a big scoop of white rice...I'm home.

Years ago, I was at a horse camp in Lone Pine. I set up my flat griddle and pulled out a can of Spam. Virtually all of the half dozen or more standing around boo'd, retched and hissed. I asked them if they'd ever had it fried crispy, with an egg and slapped between a couple pieces of toast? Blank stares. I told them don't judge until you tried it. Turned out I ran out of Spam that morning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back