Turkey Recipes Help

BigDog

Can someone please post a simple Turkey recipe including cook temperatures and time?

I want to cook a simple Butterball Turkey and will not be brining for days.

Thanks

Can someone please post a simple Turkey recipe including cook temperatures and time?

I want to cook a simple Butterball Turkey and will not be brining for days.

Thanks
Temp and time depends on a lot of things, but 275° to 325° are popular on temps. Size of the bird will be most important on time. Speaking to brining a BB turkey-my understanding is that BB turkeys are already injected, Brining and injecting can/may be fine, but injecting twice-perhaps not so much. If I want both (injecting AND brining), I’m the one doing both.

All Things BBQ is great for many types of preps. They have many for turkey but this is your classic holiday turkey with very good details

I'd like to hear more about doing a turkey breast. Planning to do two for Thanksgiving (along with a ham). I've done a whole turkey and spatchcock turkey in the past, not this year. Haven't done just the breasts before.

This recipe from virtualweberbullet has been my go to for years. I use it on my RT700 now. Interesting everyone talking about turkey breasts, everyone at my table wants dark meat so it's thighs for T-day and legs (for me) for the Friday-Sunday football games. The turkey breasts come out fine with the above,

All Things BBQ is great for many types of preps. They have many for turkey but this is your classic holiday turkey with very good details
Wow very interesting he pulled the turkey at 155 degrees in the breast never tested the things.

Google how to spatchcock the turkey. Laying it flat that way gives a really nice even cook in your smoker. It will all be even color.

Rub the skin with butter or oil and then your favorite rub. Lay it either on the rack, I like it oiled so it lifts easily, or put it on a flat rack on a flat pan.

Smoke it at about 225. Pull it when it is around 165 in the thigh. It takes me about 3-4 hours for a normal sized turkey. It will come out beautifully.

IMG_8208.jpeg

Temp and time depends on a lot of things, but 275° to 325° are popular on temps. Size of the bird will be most important on time. Speaking to brining a BB turkey-my understanding is that BB turkeys are already injected, Brining and injecting can/may be fine, but injecting twice-perhaps not so much. If I want both (injecting AND brining), I’m the one doing both.
Agree. I recommend young Amish fresh turkeys. 2 small ones are always better than 1 big turkey. Spatchcock turkeys cook more evenly, and stay juicer. Brine is only 1 hour per lb. Do not overbrine. Especially a butterball and most all frozen birds which was brined once already. I also brine and inject. Cajun butter injection is a favorite. Finally cook to 165F in breast and 175 legs. Make sure it's not undercooked. Times will vary.

Spatchcock for sure. I normally brine mine the night before even if pre injected. Follow temps for internal temperature.

Do you folks do the butter rubbed skin? I always end up with clumps of butter as opposed to a nice coats, same for under the skin, it just doesn’t stick.

I also have problems trying to use a butter based injection, I’m talking home made. It plugs up the injector, in my case it one of the Beast style.
Beast

Anyone have any tricks for these?

Do you folks do the butter rubbed skin? I always end up with clumps of butter as opposed to a nice coats, same for under the skin, it just doesn’t stick.

I also have problems trying to use a butter based injection, I’m talking home made. It plugs up the injector, in my case it one of the Beast style.
Beast

Anyone have any tricks for these?

I melt the butter and brush it on with a silicone brush, matter of fact I put the butter in a small stainless steel bowl in the smoker to melt it each time I want to brush it on.

Thanks, I’ll try melting it first. While looking into this last night I saw a suggestion somewhere to soak 4 layers of cheesecloth in melted butter and drape it over the turkey.

Wow very interesting he pulled the turkey at 155 degrees in the breast never tested the things.
https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-take-the-temperature-of-your-turkey-video

Below 165 doesnt mean raw, it means moist. Plenty of data showing pulling a poultry and 150-160 is plenty safe. Just as it took the USDA years to change their guidance on 165 pork, it will take the same for poultry.

Pull at 155, it will be at least 160 when the temp finishes rising, you will need 26 seconds at that temp to be equal to 165 degrees as far as food safety goes.

Best secret for juicy restaurant chicken has always been butter, pull at 155, and butter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back