Trailblazer Water tray?

shmulikrubin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Hi, I am new to RecTeq. Have been smoking for years in a vertical smoker and always had a tray of water for the moister. But with the Recteq, i didn't see any place for one, and could not find any discussion on this. Is it so different with a pallet smoker that you don't need water, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Sam

Your 410 is a little bigger than mine but when I first started with the RT, coming from a Weber Smokey Mtn, I used a 4x8 disposable loaf pan from a dollar type store pushed to the back of the grate. I don’t use one anymore.

That was my first thought too when I first bought my 700. I tried adding a water tray and actually my meats turned out dryer. Not sure, but I think adding moisture could have made the Rec Teq’s temperature control over compensate and mess with the outcome. I no longer add a pan of water. As well as RT designs their smokers, I realized if a water pan was needed, they would have added a built in spot for a water pan.It will be interesting to read other’s experience.

I have an RT-590 use a spray bottle & warm the water up in the microwave a touch. Works fine.

I use a pan of water... smash onions and garlic into the water for flavor... not moisture. :) I am told that the pellet smokers don't need the water pan... but I do.

My previous smoker (vertical propane) had a water tray so when I got my pellet grill (bullseye) I added a foil tray with water. I didn’t find I needed it, plus I find that it creates a lot of moist gunk inside the lids which clogs the vents up faster and creates more mess to clean up.

I think many pellet bbqr’s are like me, on long cooks we put the fat-side down vs up so the heat coming from below doesn’t dry out the meat. It can get that way. Spritzing the top off and on during the cook helps with keeping the top moist.

I have an RT1250.

I mainly smoke on the upper rack, fat side up, with water pan below.

I think it helps. I just did a large pork shoulder that would not fit on the upper rack so out it came and placed the pork by the stack and water pan towards the RTD side. The shoulder was not as moist as past butts. Maybe a shoulder vs butt think I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

I've never used a water pan because it robs BTUs, it's a heat sink. It also inhibits bark and can make the stall linger because you're keeping the surface temp low thru evaporation. Spritzing also lowers the surface temp thru evaporative effect. You're basically turning the smoker into a steamer

I've never used a water pan because it robs BTUs, it's a heat sink. It also inhibits bark and can make the stall linger because you're keeping the surface temp low thru evaporation. Spritzing also lowers the surface temp thru evaporative effect. You're basically turning the smoker into a steamer

Agree with the water pan, but even the best BBQ folks spritz meat. A little spritz goes a log way, no need to go heavy with the liquid........just a quick spritz and shut that lid. ;)

Agree with the water pan, but even the best BBQ folks spritz meat. A little spritz goes a log way, no need to go heavy with the liquid........just a quick spritz and shut that lid. ;)
Was just pointing out the science. And my own experience.
20131218_070131.jpg

I have an RT1250.

I mainly smoke on the upper rack, fat side up, with water pan below.

I think it helps. I just did a large pork shoulder that would not fit on the upper rack so out it came and placed the pork by the stack and water pan towards the RTD side. The shoulder was not as moist as past butts. Maybe a shoulder vs butt think I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️
On this forum I’ve seen some postings saying the smokestack end is hotter. I’ve read and have understood that the RTD probe end is hotter due to the up slope of the drip tray is on that end.

So I’m not sure but maybe the shoulder was on the hotter end of the cooking chamber. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back