Bullseye Water in drip pan

mmoore99

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
When using a drip pan under the grate for a low and slow cook is it necessary to put water in the drip pan?

I assume this is for the Bullseye? It’s not necessary, but I usually do to avoid the drippings burning when they hit the drip pan.
So what can you do for the Bullseye if baby back ribs are a little dry?

The Bullseye looks and from what I seen is great for hotter faster cooks for the slower lower temperature stuff you have a great grill the Stampede, roll that puppy out and give it some love, I bet it's feeling neglected.
LOL my Stampede puppy is cleaned up and staying put away unless I need it sometime for a big cook out. The Bullseye works great for ribs with the exception of needing a drip pan. I have cooked ribs on the Bullseye three times now. Twice they were just a little bit dry. I am sure it is operator error because I don't know what the hell I am doing. Just thought maybe there was a little trick to the trade to prevent dryness.

OK. And thanks to all your help in this here Forum.
My biggest cooking problem is the timing usually takes somewhat longer than I thought then I start to turn up the heat to get it done and keep the Mrs. happy. I have found starting the cooks early and putting in a warm cooler until served has given me better results.

My biggest cooking problem is the timing usually takes somewhat longer than I thought then I start to turn up the heat to get it done and keep the Mrs. happy. I have found starting the cooks early and putting in a warm cooler until served has given me better results.
I haven't cooked ribs since I adjusted the temp off set to +18. It was running too hot. That might be why my ribs were a little dry.

I will sometimes put a chuck or butt in an aluminum pan on a rack with water/apple juice and cook that way until wrapping. Usually need to add additional liquid along the way. I will then use that liquid to go back into the meat, usually for pulled pork/chuck. Really adds some great flavor. Depending on the amount of liquid I collect, I will either put it in my oil separator, or in a container in the fridge and skim off some of the fat.

I have a bull and a bullseye, and find the direct heat of the 380 makes my low and slow cooks too fast/dry. I’ve started using a drip pan filled with water and it seems to turn the heat source into more of an indirect heat and ribs much better now.

if I’m making chicken I don’t use drip pan and it turns out great

I have a bull and a bullseye, and find the direct heat of the 380 makes my low and slow cooks too fast/dry. I’ve started using a drip pan filled with water and it seems to turn the heat source into more of an indirect heat and ribs much better now.

if I’m making chicken I don’t use drip pan and it turns out great
What size drip pan & how much water? Thanks

What size drip pan & how much water? Thanks
Sorry, just saw this. For now I have an old rectangular drip pan that is about 12" x 8", and I fill up with a couple of inches of water (ie enough so it wont completely evaporate)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back