What did you buy today?

Just placed an order on Menards.com for 3 new patio doors. There goes the fun fund for a bit. :(

Making the yard look a bit more presentable, bout a trailer full of mulch. Now I just need to spread it out. :D

Making the yard look a bit more presentable, bout a trailer full of mulch. Now I just need to spread it out. :D

Ah, the rituals of spring. I had the discussion with my bride this morning, about her needing to take on the burden of picking up this year's supply as I'm on post surgery restriction. Can't lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for about 3 more weeks. We'll get there though, just a little late this year.

Can't lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for about 3 more weeks. We'll get there though, just a little late this year.

Careful with those briskets! ;)

Get better quick buddy.

Ordered the sear kit today. Looking forward to it.

You're going to like it a lot. I love doing reverse seared ribeye's on mine!

Bought a trailblazer for our camping trips!
20190404_194330.jpg

Just placed an order on Menards.com for 3 new patio doors. There goes the fun fund for a bit. :(
So the new doors have been installed and now I'm on my way to the paint store this afternoon to paint the doors and get weather treatment for the deck.

Picked up a 10 pound brisket from Costco last night. It'll be my first smoked brisket this next weekend! :D

I bought a Rec Tec 590! Not sure I made the right decision. Maybe should have gotten a 700. What do you think; I have been wanting a smoker for some time now and the wife finally signed off on one! I currently just cook on a 5yr old Lowe's Charbroil gas grill. It flairs up constantly and burns/chars a good amount of food, I'd like to use the Rec Tec obviously for the smoker but wouldn't remind replacing this old grill of mine. I ordered the RT-590 with a cover, sear kit & brush, 3 vent extenders, and a few different rubs. Should I have spent the extra $300???? We do a decent amount of entertaining during the summer months hosting events like memorial day, 4th of july, my sons birthday, random pool parties. They're are 4 in my family and we may have as many as 10-15 additional families over. Could be 20-30 adults and 15 or so kids. I'd mostly do pulled pork for large events just for cost sake. Can you fit enough shoulder/butts on the 590 to handle these kind of events? From what I read on average every 1/2 pound of shoulder = 1 person fed. So by that math to feed say 40-50 people I would need to smoke 25lbs of shoulder. Can the 590 hold two 12.5lb shoulders????? Please help quickly as there may still be time to change my order before it ships out if need be! Thanks in advance!!

If you're in doubt and have the extra budget space you should get the bigger unit. BUT...……………..always gotta be one of those around. If you go by the measurements on the RT site, the Bull is only 6" wider on the grate, and 1/4" LESS deep, while only 1/2 taller within the cook chamber. I may be biased, but the Stampede isn't as small as some think when you get down to the real numbers/volume. The model numbers relate to the sq. inches of grate, so there's only 110 (in round numbers) difference between the two. 100 inches sounds pretty significant, and if you're stacking burgers it means an extra 3 or 4, but with odd shaped stuff like butts and briskets and the like, you aren't going to normally get such a neat fitment. I can't imagine that two 12.5 pound shoulders won't fit easily, but if the extra 6 inches would give you a sense of ease...…...go for it. This is the USA...…………..more is better!

Hi...……..my name is Bob...…...…….and I'm a gizmoholic.

So in our endeavors to prepare the "perfect" food, we occasionally find the need (or should that be desire?) for additional tools to enhance the process/experience. That's not just unique to we outdoor cooks, I've used my hot rod hobby as a justification (aka, excuse) to fill my shop with a broad range of tools...…………………….it's a guy thing. Of course whenever the bride asks me to do some little task that's of interest to her and I say something like, "I've got just the tool for that." I smile and she gives me THAT look.

Yesterday the brown truck dropped off a box with something I've wanted for some time, a decent quality slicer. Yeah, the granton blade carving knife does a great job and I can produce relatively equal slices from a slab of whatever protein, and for many tasks it still the best option, but the slicer is quicker (although the trade off is clean up time so forgive the rationalization). We've had a small joke of a slicer that passed down from the inlaws but it was really not designed to do much of anything well. So here is the latest toy added to the cheffing arsenal.View attachment 252
Hey @Uncle Bob I was wondering how the slicer is going...I really have wanted one too but just never did it but now I am playing with the thoughts of making large batches of beef jerky and I know this would make it alot easier!

It's one of those things that folks can figure a work around for (I am fairly handy with a knife and have sliced jerky meat for years with a chef's knife, semi frozen helps with either device), but, in turn, once you use the pro style slicer, you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. The cost, the size (it eats up a fair piece of pantry space), and the weight (one of those good/bad things) all come into play, but the results are outstanding. Saves a bunch of time, until clean up, so it pays to do a lot of product or several related slicing jobs. I have no regrets and I especially like it when it's roast beef (thinner than I can do with a knife) or pastrami slicing time. For the person who enjoys the zen of rhythmic and consistent slicing with a knife though...….that's lost.

It's one of those things that folks can figure a work around for (I am fairly handy with a knife and have sliced jerky meat for years with a chef's knife, semi frozen helps with either device), but, in turn, once you use the pro style slicer, you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. The cost, the size (it eats up a fair piece of pantry space), and the weight (one of those good/bad things) all come into play, but the results are outstanding. Saves a bunch of time, until clean up, so it pays to do a lot of product or several related slicing jobs. I have no regrets and I especially like it when it's roast beef (thinner than I can do with a knife) or pastrami slicing time. For the person who enjoys the zen of rhythmic and consistent slicing with a knife though...….that's lost.
@Uncle Bob Thank you for the honest reply...I think I an going to start looking into one....pastrami....mmmm I really am going to have to learn how to do that. Nothing like a fresh hot pastrami sandwich and an ice cold drink!

My pastrami outcomes improved immensely when I began to follow the methods prescribed by Meathead over at AmazingRibs.com. It's a fiddly process but then that is often what it takes to get a superior outcome. I can't imagine buying pastrami from a retail vendor anymore.

My pastrami outcomes improved immensely when I began to follow the methods prescribed by Meathead over at AmazingRibs.com. It's a fiddly process but then that is often what it takes to get a superior outcome. I can't imagine buying pastrami from a retail vendor anymore.
I am going to have to go check it out because I love pastrami!! At least I know where to come and ask some questions ?

Okay bud, some additional prodding/motivation (as if you need it). In your honor we decided to have some pastrami reuben sandwiches tonight. Here the meat is getting just a little warm up after thawing from the freezer before sandwich assembly and grilling commenced.

pastrami slices 02.JPG

I NEED AN ADDRESS>>>>>I NEED AN ADDRESS!!!! That looks fantastic....That is beautiful looking pastrami!! Once I am set up you just have to share how you did it!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back