Stampede Wi-fi question

CajunSmoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
As a new member and soon to be new owner I am just checking on your thoughts. I took my phone out to location where my new Stampede will be and I have 2 bars on my wi-fi. Do you think I should be able to connect? Just wondering if I will need an extender. Looking forward to getting the grill going.

As a new member and soon to be new owner I am just checking on your thoughts. I took my phone out to location where my new Stampede will be and I have 2 bars on my wi-fi. Do you think I should be able to connect? Just wondering if I will need an extender. Looking forward to getting the grill going.
No extender needed....just disconnect wifi and use 4G for example. The app is finicky, just fiddle with it and BAM! It'll start working for you and you may or may not know how or what you did to get it to work. It just will.

Follow the instructions in this video from Rec Tec's YouTube channel and you should be all set. I also recommend subscribing because they have lots of content that's very helpful, and they also have a bunch of cooking vids that you can get ideas or learn from.

As long as your phone is able to hold a connection, you shouldn't have any issues. Although, some (myself included) have had issues trying to connect the first try, but I was able to connect by following this vid and haven't had any issues since.

Hope this helps, and congrats!

Darrell

I added an extender to get out to the carport. Disabled the 5g to get the 2.4 to work then re-enabled the 5g
I would suggest getting close until you get it all working and then move to a location farther away.

@CajunSmoker I would say it will be close but you will probably be okay. The new Rec Tec controllers have an external wi-fi antenna which will probably do a bit better than your cell phone.

Worse case you could check out our thread - How to increase the WiFi range on your Rec Tec Grill, for a handy mod.
Well I'm way better at cooking than I am figuring out this wifi cunundrum. I will say this. My Bull is to far away from my router and I appreciate the info and link to boost your wifi range. With that said I followed the wifi set up video to the T and had significant difficulty getting it to set up. On the 5th try it worked, disconnecting my phone from my home wifi is the only way I found it to function relatively reliably. I love the ability to control my Bull this way but it seems like for such a great grill the wifi operation and app needs significant work. From the apparent reviews and comments I've read in this forum it seems I'm right. Not being negative or confontational here or anything mind you! :)

Last edited:
I added an extender. I could connect but not reliably. My iPhone worked great on the WiFi at my cooking location but the grill just wasn’t connecting or staying connected to my liking so after a talk with Zach at RT I added the extender. Not one issue since I installed it. First overnight cook last night, Had the iPhone under the pillow and checked my progress a few times overnight and everything was good.

You may be able to connect but for me the $29 on Amazon was worth the money. Reliable and no more frustration with the WiFi and app except the alarms but that’s a different thread.

I added an extender. I could connect but not reliably. My iPhone worked great on the WiFi at my cooking location but the grill just wasn’t connecting or staying connected to my liking so after a talk with Zach at RT I added the extender. Not one issue since I installed it. First overnight cook last night, Had the iPhone under the pillow and checked my progress a few times overnight and everything was good.

You may be able to connect but for me the $29 on Amazon was worth the money. Reliable and no more frustration with the WiFi and app except the alarms but that’s a different thread.
Great tip, I think I'll do the same thing you did. Would you happen to have the Amazon link for the extender you bought for this project?

Great tip, I think I'll do the same thing you did. Would you happen to have the Amazon link for the extender you bought for this project?
Here is the Link to the one I bought. They make stronger ones but I really didn’t need a lot more range since I was just on the edge of the signal that I was trying to connect to.

Well, the 590 came today. Got it assembled, did the burn in, and set up the app and all is great. By the way, the newest app works great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back