Stampede Worried that the Stampede is too small?

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Okay, first let’s deal with a qualifier. Some folks on the internet seem to want to go to the negative quickly. This write up is intended to be informative for the folks who are doing some comparison shopping and are gathering actual user info to help them with their decision making process. It is NOT intended to be a slam on the Rec Tec Bull as an option. The Bull is a fine choice, and if the potential buyer has the physical space and monetary budget, the slightly greater internal space and additional two years of warrantee may be attractive enough to influence its choice.

In the Rec Tec hierarchy the most common (at this point in time) choices for the typical home user are the RT 590 Stampede and the RT 700 Bull, the Bull being the biggest seller and the one that RT pushes the hardest. The number part of those model designations refers to the nominal internal grate space of each. How that computes in functional application isn’t as dramatic as it might appear. Where the Bull enjoys its additional space is in the grate being approximately 6 inches wider. Its depth is 1/4 inch less than the Stampede, and the internal height about ½" taller. That added six inches is good to have, but probably less than some potential buyers might imagine. A space roughly 6 x19 is what you end up gaining with the Bull over the Stampede. The cost, if you’ve got patio/deck/yard constraints, is the larger outside dimensions of the Bull in depth, width, and height. If the Stampede is a better physical fit, or economical, fear not…………………you can still load a fair bit of product in there.

This past weekend we had 19 people to feed so we planned on two butts for pulled pork and two racks of ribs as alternative or additional choices. One butt was just over 8 lbs, the other just over 9. They were roughly 9” x 9” in size. The ribs were roughly 3 lbs. each pre trim. I do a semi-St. Louis trim to get the “skirt”, end, and top cross bone off (use the trimmings to grind for sausage or meatloaf). The rack ends up about 8” by 16-17” in size. Fully loaded, the Stampede took the two butts and two racks with ease (using the accessory shelf for the ribs). As you can see, I could have pushed the one butt to the back and had room for another 7-8# butt to the front with room to spare. It would have been pretty full, but with still enough spacing to not negatively affect the cook. So, you see, in the real world you can get quite a bit of food into a Stampede if that’s the better choice for your situation.

butt 02.JPG
butt 03.JPG

That's a great back to reality opinion @Uncle Bob. I think for many people the Stampede, or heck even the Trailblazer, would make a perfect every day grill.

I could be wrong but not everyone is cooking for dozens of people every time they fire up the grill.

That said I have a tendency to always buy more than I normally need and try to buy something bigger and better than what would do me just fine. I also like knowing I have the extra space - have I ever needed it so far? Yes, just once since I've owned the Bull and that was cooking hamburgers during a birthday party. I was able to cook 20-30 burgers on the Bull and be done. Though I could have cooked a few more on a smaller grill and just been grilling for a bit longer.

Like you've mentioned, it obviously comes down to personal preference and budget.

What got me thinking about this is the "online count" section above to the right, and a discussion had on here a week or two ago. It appears we get a lot of visitors at any given time, my guess is some significant segment of them are comparison shopping or trying to figure out if a pellet grill would be right for them. Perhaps you have some additional data available in the background Mike. With that in mind I thought it might be helpful for some to have additional info.

I have squeezed 6 racks of baby backs on my stampede a couple of times. We did an 18 lb turkey for easter and had plenty of room to spare.

20190419_161847.jpg

More good photographic evidence, thanks. A couple of those baby backs look to be good sized ones as well. That turkey shot goes to a question I've had in mind that I haven't discussed yet because I have no idea where to get supporting data. I believe, though without documented proof, that the hexagonal shape of the Stampede might give some slight/situational above grate volume advantage over the round shape of other pits. That's what my calibrated eyeball wants to believe.

The short, simple answer is that it was in the package that most met my desires when I bought the unit originally and saw an opportunity to put it to use. It was probably the least valuable component of the package. That said, I figured it would come in handy at some time in my use of the device. I could have turned the shoulders side ways and gotten both of them on the left side of the grate and placed the rib pieces side by side from the git go and the cook probably would have progressed fine. But I prefer to spread things out with the belief that the more space between the pieces of meat the better the air flow, thus the more predictable the cook. I have absolutely not technical data to back that up, just a belief.

The shoulders were on for considerably longer than the ribs and since they are less predictable I was well ahead of schedule on them as it turned out. The ribs are pretty predictable at 6ish hours from start to finish. The smaller shoulder finished about half way through the rib cook timing so when I pulled the one shoulder to put in the faux Cambro, I removed the accessory rack and laid the rib racks side by side on the main grate. Were I preparing more food for a larger crowd I would have tightened up my spacing and dealt with any, if any, timing issues on the fly. In a pinch, I think I could have squeezed three shoulders and three racks in there with the accessory rack. Some folks use those vertical racks to hold the rib racks and can get, say, half a dozen racks of ribs vertically in the space that two on the flat take up. That is an alternative, and the Stampede has the height to handle that, but from what I've read (not personally experienced), the ribs take awhile longer to get to done for my tastes when racked that close together. Again, not a big deal, just one of the alternatives that needs to be accounted for in the process.

Good all, new to this forum and to the Rec Tec family. Just ordered one last night so havent had a chance to use one nor see one in person.

Just wanted to say thanks for all this valuable information. It has made it even more clear that I had made a good choice in purchasing the Stampede.

I bought my first pellet smoker less then a month ago, Traeger pro 575. Lemon right out the box like 95% of the other people who bought one. So took it back, did more research and found Rec Tec. Cant wait to give it a try. Heck cant wait to see it in person.

Again thanks for the time to post all the data.

Welcome aboard and glad we could help. You should be very happy with your new Stampede, it is very rare that a RT arrives a lemon, and if something doesn't work correctly a phone call to the tech support folks gets a solution on the way in short order. Give us an update when you get it delivered and make your first cook.

@UncleBob; I definitely be sure to come back with a full report as to how the cook went and my thoughts about the Stampede.

That's a great back to reality opinion @Uncle Bob. I think for many people the Stampede, or heck even the Trailblazer, would make a perfect every day grill.

I could be wrong but not everyone is cooking for dozens of people every time they fire up the grill.

That said I have a tendency to always buy more than I normally need and try to buy something bigger and better than what would do me just fine. I also like knowing I have the extra space - have I ever needed it so far? Yes, just once since I've owned the Bull and that was cooking hamburgers during a birthday party. I was able to cook 20-30 burgers on the Bull and be done. Though I could have cooked a few more on a smaller grill and just been grilling for a bit longer.

Like you've mentioned, it obviously comes down to personal preference and budget.
All the posts cooking with the 590 look like the lids leak terrible, is that the problem with all the stampedes?

All the posts cooking with the 590 look like the lids leak terrible, is that the problem with all the stampedes?

Most often only for those who think it's a problem. For those who intend to cook on it instead of show it off, it works great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back