3-1-1 ribs when to wrap

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Stupid question right? With 3-1-1 ribs should I wrap at 3 hours or whenever the stahl occurs? If wrapping is to help power through the stahl should you wait until it occurs or doesn’t it really matter? I have a rack on now. They’re at 133* after 2 hours and 15 minutes so they could hit 150 or so by three hours any way

The idea of something like 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 is a chunk of time unwrapped, followed by wrapped, followed by unwrapped again with sauce. Not really monitoring temps and such. Wrapping should push right thru a stall if that were to happen, though. (Not sure it would happen with ribs.)

That said, I've never wrapped ribs. Sometimes I haven't even bothered to season them.

And meat can't tell time. Even this morning's bacon cook took longer thanks to some bonkers winds we're having this weekend...

I don’t use temp when it comes to ribs. I just smoke for 3 hrs then I’ll wrap them for 2 hrs for St. Louis or 1 hr baby backs then I unwrap put them back on the smoker with sauce until they are tender.

When it comes to ribs, I don't go by temp either. It's either 3-2-1 for St. Louis, or 2-2-1 for BB's. Depending on the amount of meat on the ribs, I sometimes will adjust the wrap time. Usually a little less for less meat. I always add a little apple juice and wrap with butchers paper. I find that playing a little with the wrap time gives a chance to make them needing a little chew on the bone. They always turn out great.

Stupid question right? With 3-1-1 ribs should I wrap at 3 hours or whenever the stahl occurs? If wrapping is to help power through the stahl should you wait until it occurs or doesn’t it really matter? I have a rack on now. They’re at 133* after 2 hours and 15 minutes so they could hit 150 or so by three hours any way
I never wrap, either. Tends to overcook and get mushy. Also bark is less. Go naked! ??

I never wrap, either. Tends to overcook and get mushy. Also bark is less. Go naked! ??
I agree, I consider wrapping more of a "cooking aide" than a necessity. Proper use of cooking time, technique and temperature control will cook anything the way you like it. Wrapping definitely effects that nice bark we all know and love. But like it's been said here in other threads to each his own. All roads lead to tasty BBQ!

Last edited:
Here's a recent no-wrap, no-sauce batch of St Louis ribs. Nothing but a basic rub + smoke + heat + time.

IMG_20200425_173347.jpg

I agree, I consider wrapping more of a "cooking aide" than a necessity. Proper use of cooking time, technique and temperature control will cook anything the way you like it. Wrapping definitely effects that nice bark we all know and love. But like it's been said here in other threads to each his own. All roads lead to tasty BBQ!
Most roads! ??

My vote is don't wrap.

I cooked these baby backs unwrapped yesterday. Finished wet with sauce. Approximately 6 hours at 225 when they passed the bend test. Remove from heat and eat.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
No wrap here either.
Everyone has a preference with how they like their Q, and that makes it so much fun. Cook how you like to eat, but don't ever be afraid to experiment. This is what makes bbq cooking sooooooo much fun.

I do them both ways. wrapped and not. It's a personal preference thing. Good ribs is good ribs, either way. Wrapped tend to be more moist, but not a hard rule. My wife tends to like them very moist and I have to wrap to get that. Wrapped are especially good for keeping in the fridge for another day (which tends to dehydrate meat).

Straight 225F for ~6hrs is simple and the results are reliable.

3-2-1 is a generalization of a process. The times are highly dependent on the temperature. For example, I've run my ribs at 180F on the Bull for 2 hours, then 1 1/2 hours at 250, then ramped to 325F for some color, then wrapped for 1 hr (ish) until tender, then take them out and crust them up a bit and sauce.

But as others stated, ribs are mostly cooked by color and tenderness. How you get there can be a million different ways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back