Bull 700 not reaching max temperature anymore

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
How much does pellet type play into temperature? I’ve only used Cookin Pellets in my 700. I’ve done a lot of slow cooks but also a fair number of crank it as high as it goes and exceeded 500 with ease. I can’t seem to get the grill up to 500 anymore. Almost an hour last night to get to 450. I was burning CP hickory last night since I’m out of the Competition Blend. The blend always produced maximum heat. Is it a coincidence that I can’t reach those high temperatures now that I’m out of the blend or is there more to it? Firebox is clean and weather shouldn’t have been a factor.

How much does pellet type play into temperature? I’ve only used Cookin Pellets in my 700. I’ve done a lot of slow cooks but also a fair number of crank it as high as it goes and exceeded 500 with ease. I can’t seem to get the grill up to 500 anymore. Almost an hour last night to get to 450. I was burning CP hickory last night since I’m out of the Competition Blend. The blend always produced maximum heat. Is it a coincidence that I can’t reach those high temperatures now that I’m out of the blend or is there more to it? Firebox is clean and weather shouldn’t have been a factor.
Apologies for not answering your question but I’m just curious as to what you cook above 450°. Searing steaks?

@PSU-85 have you checked your RTD probe? If it is leaning toward the cooker wall you can get some bogus temps. Just a thought.

Haven't received my 700 yet, so I'm not sure if this works the same .... but after 15+ years as a Stick Burner, I've found that using Oak, adds to the heat
And I've done my fair-share of snowy / winter smoking
I'm going to try a 2-1 Alder to Oak blend in the 700 when we see it
Then adjust from there

Apologies for not answering your question but I’m just curious as to what you cook above 450°. Searing steaks?
Definitely for reverse searing steaks, smash burgers, crispy spatchcock chicken skin on the flat side of the sear grates, skirt steak...... I know there isn't one grill/smoker that can do it all but I parked the gas grill at the curb in the spring and have been pretty happy with my high temp results on the 700 (until recently). I have two bags of CP Competition Blend arriving today. Will see if that is the answer.

@PSU-85 have you checked your RTD probe? If it is leaning toward the cooker wall you can get some bogus temps. Just a thought.
I threw on a small brisket flat this morning and checked the probe. Its standing nice and straight. What I did notice is that it had a pretty good coating of the black stuff that covers the inside of the grill. I cleaned it up and got it back to mostly silver again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back