A cleaner that actually works. Update: I should have added that this product works well only when the surface is still warm /very warm to the touch !

RHEINLEIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
  3. Patio Legend 410
  4. RT-300
“Method heavy duty degreaser”
Spray, rest, wipe.
No abrasives or tools.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07bKXQPt7k58fMbrk4MclWlLg

E5FE6CBB-8084-425C-92DB-8563464B3025.png

Last edited:
Using it on what? Stainless, or just everything?

My order is supposed to arrive today. The grill is scheduled for a cleaning this coming week, so we’ll have a chance to try it out then.

My order is supposed to arrive today. The grill is scheduled for a cleaning this coming week, so we’ll have a chance to try it out then.
Jim- I value your feedback.
Remember to allow it to rest 2 minutes after applying. I like using microfiber cloths to wipe.

Today was “cleaning day” for the grill, after a pretty messy chicken cook—aren’t all chicken cooks messy? In addition to the normal greasy mess, I had a brief grease fire at the end of the cook, so some of the gunk was really baked on.

I used the Method All-Purpose Cleaner previously recommended in this thread and, since I also had a new bottle of ZEP Fast 505 Degreaser, I tried it as well, keeping the areas to be cleaned separate. The principal area cleaned was the grill grate, which had some pretty nasty stuff baked onto it. Secondarily, I used the products to clean the grease channel at the spout end.

Per the instructions for each product (and, the instructions were pretty much the same), I sprayed the product on and waited two minutes before attempting to remove the residue. As a secondary test, I re-sprayed and let the products sit for 10 minutes before attempting to remove the remaining residue. In both cases, I used Bounty paper towels to wipe off the dissolved crud.

Both products did dissolve quite a bit of the crud, but not all—even after the secondary 10-minute spray-and-wait. Neither product was spray on, wait X minutes and wipe clean; they both left significant undissolved residue. I also tried both products on smoke stains on the external stainless areas, and neither was very effective, even after waiting 10 minutes. Bar Keepers’ Friend Soft Cleanser and a ScotchBrite cleaning pad was far more effective.

In the end, I needed to use my coarse stainless steel scrubbing pads (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTHPJYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1) to remove about 20-25% of the baked on crud on each test area. I do think both products softened the hard stuff a bit and made it easier to scrub off.

I would give the Method All-Purpose Cleaner a slight edge over the ZEPP Fast 505 Degreaser, but not by much. My ratings, on a scale of 1-5:

Method All-Purpose Cleaner: 3.5/5
ZEPP Fast 505 Degreaser: 3.0/5

As an aside, here’s why I foil my drip tray:

After cook, foil in place:

IMG_2452.jpeg

Foil removed:

IMG_2454.jpeg

The unfoiled drip tray had not been cleaned in any way when the photo was taken. And, it has not been cleaned in the 2 years I’ve had this grill; just foiled. :oops:

YMMV

UPDATE: I ordered the Method Heavy Duty Degreaser from Amazon and what they delivered was Method All-Purpose Cleaner. Apparently, they are quite different products. Amazon is now in the process of sending me the right product, so I’ll need to do another test after I get it.

Sorry for the confusion; I didn’t realize I had gotten the wrong product until @RHEINLEIN called my attention to it after reading my review. Thanks, Bob.

UPDATE: I ordered the Method Heavy Duty Degreaser from Amazon and what they delivered was Method All-Purpose Cleaner. Apparently, they are quite different products. Amazon is now in the process of sending me the right product, so I’ll need to do another test after I get it.

Sorry for the confusion; I didn’t realize I had gotten the wrong product until @RHEINLEIN called my attention to it after reading my review. Thanks, Bob.
Thanks for the review and update. Looks like we will benefit from a 3 product review (I hope) when you have a chance to use the proper cleaner. Keep us posted, please.

Simply spraying everything with ammonia and placing inside a garbage bag over night is all you have to do. Everything will just wipe off the next day, no scrubbing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back