Stampede About to buy one...do you regret not getting the RT-700

So, what is the 590 made of? 430? I'm considering the 590 or the 700. Trying to understand the pros/cons, too.
All the Rec Tec grills exterior stainless steel is the 430 which is still stainless steel but it is a ferritic group steel, its is still very corrosion resistant but can discolor and form surface rust if not taken care of. The grills internal parts are made out of the 304 stainless steel, drip pan, burn pot, grates and heat deflector.

Last edited:
I've never said: "I'm having too much fun." " I have too much beer in the fridge" or "my bbq is too big"

Something to keep in mind, the area of these pellet grills that is most practically used is only the size of the drip tray. On the Bull, that's about 16" front to back and about 33" left to right.
I've said this in the past all these grills cooking areas are really smaller than they advertise, you don't want your meat hanging over the drip pans sides. This is the main reason I keep the ash in the barrel is incase my meat starts dripping or squirting over the edge of the drip pan, the other reason is I'm lazy and it cuts into my beer drinking time.

I got the 590. I don't really regret that missing 6 inches of width, but I do miss not having a decent shelf solution. On the 590 you need to use the small shelf that's sized for the 340, and if you use more than one they have to be positioned front to back, which means the legs get in your way. Also, the 700 base has the splayed legs which I would think would be much more stable. If I did it over, I'd get the 700 for those two reasons.

Attachments

• I Bought A New Smoker03.jpg
    I Bought A New Smoker03.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 88
I got the 590. I don't really regret that missing 6 inches of width, but I do miss not having a decent shelf solution. On the 590 you need to use the small shelf that's sized for the 340, and if you use more than one they have to be positioned front to back, which means the legs get in your way. Also, the 700 base has the splayed legs which I would think would be much more stable. If I did it over, I'd get the 700 for those two reasons.
I was very close to ordering the RT-590, it's just the 2 of us empty nesters here. when I started comparing the grills, warranty and accessories and the deal that Rec Tec had last July It made my mind up to go with the RT-700 Bull.

I also was looking at the 590 and ended up buying the 700. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the 590, but my choice came down to the warranty, hopper size and overall look of the 700. After you make a decision stick, just enjoy the smoker.

So, what is the 590 made of? 430? I'm considering the 590 or the 700. Trying to understand the pros/cons, too.

The stainless portion is 430 on both, it's a serviceable product but needs more care to avoid corrosion relative to 304. It's a price point thing. The only stuff they actually identify in their listings as 304 are the grates and the fire pot iirc. I think people see that singular reference and extend it mentally to all the stainless even though RT is technically honest in their claim (not referring to word of mouth stuff over the phone or in emails that go counter to that).

The other thing I wasn't crazy about the RT-590 is the exhaust venting, maybe if Rec Tec included the extended exhaust tips it would have swayed me some.

Last edited:

A couple more things I remembered, there is no cold weather blanket for the 590, I could have really used that, not excited about rigging up something. And as others mentioned the vent covers are kludgy and should be included.

I don't necessarily regret the 590 overall, it's been fine, but in hindsight I probably would have been happier with the 700.

The stainless portion is 430 on both, it's a serviceable product but needs more care to avoid corrosion relative to 304. It's a price point thing. The only stuff they actually identify in their listings as 304 are the grates and the fire pot iirc. I think people see that singular reference and extend it mentally to all the stainless even though RT is technically honest in their claim (not referring to word of mouth stuff over the phone or in emails that go counter to that).
I also think the 430 stainless steel is more manageable to make the grills shapes there tiring to make.

Last edited:
430 is pretty resistant to corrosion. It may not be totally "rust free" if you live on the beach where there's salt air. But I live a couple miles from the beach and we get the afternoon damp breeze. No rust so far. I keep it on the patio but mostly covered. It's been out in the rain a couple times as well. No issues.

I also was looking at the 590 and ended up buying the 700. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the 590, but my choice came down to the warranty, hopper size and overall look of the 700. After you make a decision stick, just enjoy the smoker.

Good advice, but...so, I ordered the 590 this morning and then kept researching and googling, reading this forum, etc...well, now I've cancelled the 590 and ordered the 700 lol. I have to stop reading this stuff until it comes in...

Good advice, but...so, I ordered the 590 this morning and then kept researching and googling, reading this forum, etc...well, now I've cancelled the 590 and ordered the 700 lol. I have to stop reading this stuff until it comes in...
Rec Tec is great, your going to love it.

Last edited:

Edit, somehow mooncusser2k s post didn't carry over even though it shows on my draft.?

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, I've got that one saved in my pic file too. Fortunately my bride understands that I'm still a little boy at heart and gotta play with my toys. Learned that from years of doing the hot rod thing. That being said, 11 was yesterdays number. This morning I'm selling the Kamado Joe I've had for close to 9 years and have two other cookers advertised. Even though the bride is understanding there's only so much room around here. And you never know when a new opportunity might present. ;)

I can’t compare the pros and cons of the 700, just the 340 to 590. What I can tell you is that as you go larger it’ll take more time to heat up, in practice it won’t be that long, maybe an extra few minutes here or there at lower temps, but higher temps are another issue. The 590 is massive inside, more than enough to cook for 8-10 people. It’d probably be 12-14 people with the bull if you include the extra 6 inches.
Light: The 590 doesn’t have a light, but the 700 does. The issue I’ve read is people spritzing it and the light shattering. It’s also useless after a few cooks (again, from what I’ve read).
Vents: the 590 has open vents that you’d want to purchase the all weather adapters for (they’re out of stock now). The 700 has a smoke stack that you can then add a smoker box to.
Utensils: the 700 has a spot to hang them, the 590 doesn’t, but then the 590 has the hopper to the left and the lid acts as a sort of warmer on hot days.
Hopper: as stated above, the hopper on the 700 is in the back. It’s also a 40 lb hopper that has a divider so you could theoretically mix two kinds of pellets (hard wood and fruit woods). That said, I don’t think it’s a huge deal on my 590 because I’d rather mix smaller portions in a bucket that I can then seal to preserve pellets.
Competition cart/shelf: the add on shelf on the 590 is only 10-11 in deep, I’ve read that’s a limitation of the way the competition card for the 590 was designed. The 700 is 12 inches deep. That said, there are a fair amount of mods for the590 (campchef sear box, home made front shelves - though you can find them for the 70p too).
Price: everything about the 700 is more expensive. The grill, the shelf, the cart, etc. that being said, there are also more options (smoke box and mods). It’s their flagship so that makes sense.

at the end of the day, I am extremely happy with the 590 and don’t regret not going larger. If I had unlimited money, then yes I would’ve gone with the 700, but the 590 is the sweet spot for me.

Hope this helps!

Edit, somehow mooncusser2k s post didn't carry over even though it shows on my draft.?

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, I've got that one saved in my pic file too. Fortunately my bride understands that I'm still a little boy at heart and gotta play with my toys. Learned that from years of doing the hot rod thing. That being said, 11 was yesterdays number. This morning I'm selling the Kamado Joe I've had for close to 9 years and have two other cookers advertised. Even though the bride is understanding there's only so much room around here. And you never know when a new opportunity might present. ;)

UB,
Are you keeping a charcoal pit? What type? I'm looking to trim my inventory too. and I'm shedding the old iron horse stick burner and one rusted out Bubba Keg (komado). That would leave me with a gas grill, one newish Bubba Keg, and the RT-700. But I'm thinking about getting a 22 or 26" Weber Kettle. Thoughts?

UB,
Are you keeping a charcoal pit? What type? I'm looking to trim my inventory too. and I'm shedding the old iron horse stick burner and one rusted out Bubba Keg (komado). That would leave me with a gas grill, one newish Bubba Keg, and the RT-700. But I'm thinking about getting a 22 or 26" Weber Kettle. Thoughts?

My thoughts? You're a brave man.

Yeah, I've got four other charcoal burners, though I'm a lump guy who doesn't care for briquettes. I've got a Barrel House Cooker which is a fun little unit, very much like the Pit Barrel Cooker (which seems to have a cult like following) only I think better because it's easier to reload for longer cooks, has better cool touch handles, has slightly better temp management and can function as a grill in addition to the smoker function right out of the box without the mods needed for the PBC. BTW, the owner of PBC recently bought BHC so there's likely a revised PBC in the not too distant future. While I like the BHC it's for sale now too, the reason why is told later.

I've got a big, fancy all 304 stainless cooker for large cook occasions (recently did a wild boar piglet). I call it the Big Silver Box. It's a Cajun Grills Preaux. Lots of surface area, nice adjustment of fire height to grate level, and manages temps very well. Dual zone capability and smokes well. Very good performer overall that isn't suited for small cooks for the bride and myself.

I just got a medium size grill from Oklahoma Joe's called the Judge. I haven't done a first cook on it yet, just the burn in mambo. I've already started with a few mods based on my preferences, I like a combo grill and smoker capability and this thing is more aimed at grillers. As such it had a lot of places for air to leak and mess up the temp control from my point of view/beliefs. I've sealed the seams/openings, modified the side air intake, and put sealing strips around the lid and firebox front door. I got it primarily because of the height adjustable fire pan (because that feature is one of my favorites from the Preaux), and for the ease of refueling for longer cooks. Also, it's sized so that wood splits are an option that might be fun to play with. Kind of a flyer deal, but with promise.

This last guy turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. This is, for now, my go to cooker for bbq/smoker; an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco. It's a vertical smoker that converts easily to a charcoal grill. Lots of variables possible for set ups to manipulate smoke and/or fire. You can smoke from hangers or flat on the grate. You can zone cook or sear. The lid has an excellent seal, and the temp controls with the inlet and exhaust are very responsive and effective. The only mod I did was the seal the two piece barrel with rtv when I assembled it. That's it, it's a tight box. Does everything the PBC/BHC folks love to brag about, only better......and with a wide range of very controllable temps. With two grates it can take a lot more food than most 18" cookers can, and it works great. At $300 it's the most bang for the buck in charcoal cookers as far as I'm concerned. And while OJ like to pretend they have a MAP program, Wally World will have an "inventory clearance" sale on them once or twice a year at $184...……...a double steal of a deal. Yeah, I'm really pumped on this guy. Tidy size, charcoal/wood flavoring, easy to set up, outstanding temp control (number one feature on my list), and affordable. Good companion for the RT for those times when you want to be more involved in shaping the flavor of the product.

I do have a stick burner of sorts as well, an EcoQue Gen 3 wood fired oven/smoker. This would be a whole different conversation, let's just say I like it cause I've got eclectic tastes (nice euphemism eh?).

Arncha glad ya asked? :D

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back