Bullseye Adjusting Off set on B380 Bullseye

Rileybowler

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Tomorrow I will be doing the start up for first time and wanted to know in advance since it seems that the Bullseye runs hot so if it runs hot do I adjust to the plus side or the minus side. Thanks for any help that you can give me

Tomorrow I will be doing the start up for first time and wanted to know in advance since it seems that the Bullseye runs hot so if it runs hot do I adjust to the plus side or the minus side. Thanks for any help that you can give me
IMHO, don't mess with it and enjoy the grill.

I did my initial burn in today and at the start the grill and set temperature at 400 degrees and the temperature climbed up to 586 degrees and then started back down and stopped at 393 degrees and then back up to 404 degrees and didn't vary more than 7 or 8 degrees either way so everything went well no big temperature swings so I am very happy with that. Probably be cooking on it by the end of the week.

I think the initial 1/4 cup of pellets in the fire pot is too small. The pellets ignite, the controller says the temp is too low, so it feeds pellets. The temp doesn't rise and it says to feed more pellets. By the time the pellets get there the feed rate is so high you get the temperature overshoot, then it has to slow the feed rate and it goes too low, eventually reaching and maintaining the set point. If I change pellets I run the augur until they reach the fire pot, then fire it up.

I did some burgers today and the temperature was all over the place as much as 100 degrees over on the units display then what I had set it at and I confirmed that with another thermometer. I guess that I might go ahead and fiddle with the off set.

I contacted Rec Tec today and the guy said that when the temperature spiked that if the lid was opened then the big temperature change would signal to add more pellets which would cause it to spike again that if left closed then it would have adjusted to correct temperature. I asked about adjusting the off set he told me how to do that but he also said that of all the guys in the office not a single one of them adjusted the off set and he advised doing a couple more cooks and he thought everything would be fine.

My impression is that most of the 380 bull’s-eyes do some weird thing the first time they were cut on. Mine went up to about 500° and I was worried it was out of control. But after the initial trial it now is well behaved and quietly goes to the temperature I set it to. So I think it’s just a cork in the start up, obviously if the problem persists then you can investigate but I remember the first time I cut mine on I wondered whether it was broken

IMO do not mess with it, I have not messed with mine and it has been a great grill, do not overthink this.
Why do you need constant temp for hot and fast burgers?

IMO do not mess with it, I have not messed with mine and it has been a great grill, do not overthink this.
Why do you need constant temp for hot and fast burgers?
I don't need it for fast burgers but I surely do need for low and slow and that is what I am concerned about, but regardless the temperature of the grill should be close to the set temperature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back