RecTeq turning off app remote start up feature?

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
What's this rumor Im hearing about RT turning off or having to turn off the remote startup feature on the app soon??? Regulation ? Or ?
Any links or statements ??

Edit: post from Ray found. This kinda sucks imo. It was just a luxury sure, but a handy one at times . Leave it ro the Govt to screw up a good thing. I wish Ray would actually say who and not "the powers that be"....
Well, turn off your "auto update"...lol

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240226-175330.png
Screenshot_20240226-175401.png
Screenshot_20240226-175502~2.png

Last edited:
Does it really matter “who the powers that be” are? Ray takes the high road and explains why common sense says the remote start function could have unintended results. The scenario he posted is just one of the many possible scenarios. Sometimes, rules actually make sense.I know that may inconvenience a few folks but how would youn feel if your grill touched off a fire that took one or more lives? I can walk out to the patio and press the button.

Does it really matter “who the powers that be” are? Ray takes the high road and explains why common sense says the remote start function could have unintended results. The scenario he posted is just one of the many possible scenarios. Sometimes, rules actually make sense.I know that may inconvenience a few folks but how would youn feel if your grill touched off a fire that took one or more lives? I can walk out to the patio and press the button.
What happened to individual responsibility? Why not just put a second passcode/function on it so it cant be "accidentally" started?
Why jump immediately to some form of Govt overreach ? Lets see a percentage of accidental start ups vs App users... The "turn off" function is not being eliminated...so if someone thinks they've turned it off but hasnt and something happens then what ?
What about the people that bought these on this function being a selling point to them ??... I could go on, ots not that cut and dry. His first words were "its out of their hands".... That says a lot also.

Would you feel the same if your child put the cover on and then died in the fire? One man’s “personal responsibility” is another man’s “government overreach.”

Would you feel the same if your child put the cover on and then died in the fire? One man’s “personal responsibility” is another man’s “government overreach.”
...I guess you skipped the part where I asked why not make it fail-safe with a code needed , a two step or even three step process for that matter ?...
There' are plenty of ways to assure your child never dies in a app controlled smoker fire*

Don't get me wrong here guys , Love my smoker and Recteq. Having a discussion here. I don't "need" a app and remote start...but that's not the bigger issue. Arguing necessity is futile, what one may " another may not*. Here's a borrowed response that shows a different angle or two.

Screenshot_20240226-184535.png

Don't get me wrong here guys , Love my smoker and Recteq. Having a discussion here. I don't "need" a app and remote start...but that's not the bigger issue. Arguing necessity is futile, what one may " another may not*. Here's a borrowed response that shows a different angle or two.

View attachment 21323
Many new cars come with remote start that can be used in a closed up garage….?

Is that a question? Or statement?
Yes they do...that wasn't my post just a share, and it was about a stereo. But if its a statement , yes they do.
And in comparison, why would someone leave a smoker plugged in, filled,covered and ready to start up inside a closed garage ? Something happening would be on them.

Is that a question? Or statement?
Yes they do...that wasn't my post just a share, and it was about a stereo. But if its a statement , yes they do.
And in comparison, why would someone leave a smoker plugged in, filled,covered and ready to start up inside a closed garage ? Something happening would be on them.
It was intended to be an open ended statement. There are millions of more cars out there than smokers with the ability to turn on remotely. I honestly could care less if I lose that feature. Seems an odd place to start if is some form of governmental control? I believe there’s more to the story

Maybe "The Powers that be" is their insurance carrier ??
It was intended to be an open ended statement. There are millions of more cars out there than smokers with the ability to turn on remotely. I honestly could care less if I lose that feature. Seems an odd place to start if is some form of governmental control? I believe there’s more to the story

Another good post I found.... Hopefully Ray or somebody clarifies what "the powers that be" actually is...govt agency or insurance or his Board ? ??.Have a good night all.

Screenshot_20240226-213646.png

Heres one more Ray reply....someone offered their services on doing the stepped safety process I mentioned.

Heres some replies:

Screenshot_20240226-220456.png
Screenshot_20240226-220720.png
Screenshot_20240226-220650.png

One last post to see Ray's statement...its a done deal , a industry regulation..

Ray:
Recteq hates that we have to make this change. It is out of our control for a host of reasons. We have exhausted every feasible work around that we could think of. Facial recognition, fingerprints, three stage verification, disclaimers, waivers etc. Unfortunately as of right now the remote turn on will be disabled but the other features will work as always. No grill will be able to offer this feature in very short order if not already. I hope you can appreciate the fact that this change is unavoidable and we dislike it as much as you. Any anger directed towards recteq is misguided and unfair. I (we) love our customers and appreciate them more than you know. I wish i had better news. I’d like to thank everyone in advance for their continued support and understanding. Sincerely, Ray

Ugh. Anyone have any idea if this feature removal is coming in the form of an app update or will they turn it off on their side somehow? Already turned off auto update on my app on case it's merely an app update but I bet it's on their side.

I hate to be a contrarian but how the H can you allow me to remote start my car from anywhere on the planet, roll the windows up and down (potentially trapping an arm, leg, or head in), remote start the fireplace in my house, and do just about anything I want with a smart plug that is connected to a portable heater, and sell me on this idea. If we want to play the what if scenario, what if the same do good gardner accidently bumps the power button with his rake when the cover is on? What will they do to prevent that from occurring? I guess they can take away the button altogether and replace it with a charcoal briquet basket and cut the cord completely off the unit or disable the controller! Sorry for my rant but this makes no sense. The same house with the same gardner can also set his toaster oven, real oven, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and other appliances for a delayed or timed start also. Until I see the actual ordinance, it sounds like they are removing a feature to avoid company risk and liability in case the switch fails, not because of the stated reason. Heck, they have a dozen smokers on their own property plugged in all the time, has their building had a problem that was related to that accident scenario they are trying to sell us on? Can you tell I smell the odor of stinky fish in the air and it’s not coming from my RT700, but it is Bull! From my perspective, if/when this occurs, it should be a universal requirement on a go forward basis for everybody and applied for future designs because I subsidized the inclusion of this feature and I haven’t seen any mention of a refund under the UCC’s merchantability clause which should allow me to remedy the situation by retuning the RT700 as it is now considered defective from my perspective. A similar event is winding itself through the courts with Tesla disabling/hobbling features that were advertised and paid for on vehicles and I hope Tesla loses. I yield the podium to my fellow colleagues for their rebuttal.

Last edited:
Well, mine worked tonite but then I think it is supposed to be turned off sometime Wednesday. Oddly, my Trailblazer has not been staying connected for the past month and--wouldn't you know it--it functioned perfectly tonite.

Frankly, I have never been impressed with the RT app; too gimmicky. But, then, that's just my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back