Anyone bake anything on the smoker yet?

ifican

Grill(s) owned
Bull
I have been telling myself to do this for far to long. And for whatever reason a smokey carrot cake with just the lightest sweet cream cheese frosting sounds just out of this world. This got me to thinking, if i seriously want to do this, whats the best way to impart a real smoke flavor into the cake? Just baking the cake in and of itself would not yield the flavor profile i am looking for. And I sure am going to give it much more thought but in general, has anyone given tried anything or given much thought to taking certain ingredients and first smoking them to get that flavor mixed throughout?

dsandersus

Grill(s) owned
Stampede
I can't speak to baking per say, but a number of years ago I cold smoked heavy cream and milk and made smoked vanilla ice cream. I used my upright Masterbuilt smoker with the cold smoker attachment to smoke a tray of heavy cream and another of whole milk, during the winter months. After it was smoked for about an hourish we made ice cream. Overall we liked it, but for whatever reason we never made it again.

I think you could cold smoke some of the ingredients and then bake it, similarly as I did with the ice cream? Probably going to be a lot of trial and error..

ifican

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Overall take is like i expected, looking forward to giving some a try.

Kim

Grill(s) owned
Stampede
I put some cornbread on the smoker the other night when I was cooking something else. I make awesome cornbread, really I do but the cornbread that I took off the smoker was dry and it would not have been if I put it in the oven. All I can guess is that there are more vents and less steam and a much dryer heat.

permi

Grill(s) owned
Trailblazer
I’ve done cornbread a couple of times now on my trailblazer, and cookies a couple of times. They have an almost imperceptible smoke flavor, so the next time I bake I’m going to try using the AMNPS to up the smoke flavor.

I haven’t noticed the smoker drying anything out, they come out perfect for me. Just almost no smoke taste due to the high temp.

Reactions: Kim

BretM

Grill(s) owned
Bull
I tried doing a peach cobbler a few weeks ago. It never wanted to crisp up on top...even at 425.

krislacy

Grill(s) owned
Bull, Matador
I have done the following. Strawberry and Cream cobbler, Peach and Blueberry cobbler, Brownies, Chocolate chip cast iron cookies, smores and French toast (not sure if the last one is a dessert).