Anyone Use Lawry's Seasoned Salt?

The Texas Monthly barbecue editor just reported that many Texas BBQ joints secretly use Lawry's Seasoned Salt, even those that profess to use only salt and pepper.

Has anyone here used it, and if so what are you results?
I like it, YMMV

Those of you using it, do you use pepper and the seasoned salt, or just the seasoned salt?

I've used it frequently, but mostly on things like burgers and in my dredge for things like chicken fried steak. I've never tried it on a brisket or similar. It I were (I might), I'd likely combine with coarse black pepper.

I’ve used it occasionally for as long as I can remember. It has long been a staple in my spice rack.

When I don’t have time to make up some of my personal recipe rub, I’ll mix 4 Tbsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt with 1 Tbsp coarse-ground black pepper. Lawry’s has many of the spices in it that I use in my personal recipe, but it does not contain pepper. Hence, adding the pepper to it.

Last edited:
I've used Lawry's for a long time. I also use Cavender's Greek Seasoning, and recently have started using La Preferida Sazon. All are good.

Last edited:
I don't use it a lot, but I prefer the low sodium version. I can add more seasoning for flavor without it being too salty.

I use it, based largely on the rumor that Lawry’s is the secret to Aaron Franklin’s famous brisket. It’s great anywhere one would use salt, pepper, garlic +onion.

Franklin only uses salt and pepper on his briskets, but I am a fan of Lawry's on many kinds of meats, will use that and some coarse ground black pepper.

This article quotes Franklin as saying he uses more than just S&P.

I just read his book, don't recall him saying that HE uses anything other than salt and pepper on his briskets, but does make mention of making it your own. That's a good article, thanks for sharing......truth is stranger than fiction as per the usual.

I just read his book, don't recall him saying that HE uses anything other than salt and pepper on his briskets, but does make mention of making it your own. That's a good article, thanks for sharing......truth is stranger than fiction as per the usual.
I have 3 of his books also-the most recent one published on BBQ that I can tell is 7 years old (As far as I can tell, his most recent book was on cooking steaks, which I own) Things change. Perhaps he once used S&P only, perhaps not? But in 2022 he has stated that he has/does use Lowery’s on his briskets.

I also use it all the time, including in most of my DIY rubs. In addition, for steaks and chops I always use MSG (Accent) and on non tender meat like Brisket, Sirloin steaks, Tri-tip I use BBQ Phosphate.

I always brine (wet for chicken and pork, dry for beef) with just salt. So, I can’t use seasoned salt later. Do any of you use Lawry’s as a brine?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back