Bull Are Crispy Wings Possible w/ RT-700?

I smoke the wings at 250 degrees for 2 hours, pull, crank up the smoker to high. Then put the wings back on and cooks 2-4 minutes per side, until crispy.

I also normally brine the wings, and then use mustard as a binder, then apply rub.
Best Greg

Post #4 suggests using baking soda for crispy wings. Post #9 suggests baking powder. Is it baking soda or baking powder, or do both work?

Baking powder is what I use every time. It works

Did the open in the refrigerator for a few hours then baking powder and kosher salt 225 for 1 hour then 425 until done, maybe1 more hour. Coated some with a chopped up garlic, parmesan cheese, olive oil concoction and the rest with Frank's hot sauce, wings were crispy and tasty.
What shocked me was the grill temperature alarm were working, didn't use the probes for chicken wings so don't know about the probe alarm, first time in quite a while the grill alarms have worked.

Attachments

• 20200414_182816.jpg
    20200414_182816.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Washing poultry is not recommended.
Boiling chicken wings is just wrong. (and ribs)
Corn starch is also used to crisp up skin or any breading.
Horns Out!

Correct. I winged it the first time, in terms of how much I needed, and it was not good. Way too much bp, and the taste was off.

Here is a recipe, 2 Tbsp for 30 wings:

Clicky
I just tried this one. I got a real powdery taste with it. I believe it needed something more than just baking powder and salt. I’ll go back to flour with at most half the amount of baking powder and more rub next time. Glad I tried something different. I suspect the truly perfect skin would come with the matador. ?

These where my first attempt at wings. Came out fairly cripsy. I was afraid to over cook. But there were no left overs, soooo

Attachments

• IMG_7950.jpg
    IMG_7950.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7949.jpg
    IMG_7949.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 109
Looking for tips from you all out there on how to get crispy chicken wings using an RT-700. Not sure it's possible using a RT-700 on its own - fingers crossed. I was hopeful when making a lot of wings for Super Bowl guests using searing plates and some corn starch...but all were kinda rubbery on the outside. I put a little olive oil on each front and back to help the dry rub and corn starch then placed in refrigerator for a few hours before go time. Turned the grill to 415 and cooked first batch on searing plates until they hit about 170. Second batch was at Full.

I made some with the searing grates and some without. Both kinda turned out the same way. I saw a video from Jodie using searing plates in a sandwich form (top and bottom) but didn't seem to get crispy on even one layer for me - perhaps that is the way to go next time?

Though I was after just a dry rub taste with crispy skin, perhaps had I put a sauce on them and placed them back on? Or maybe I shouldn't have stored them in fridge at all? Or maybe too much olive oil? idk

Fingers crossed one of you out there can share a technique or recipe that works or just shoot me straight...

Appreciate any tips for this newbie RT-700 owner - thanks!
The way I get crispy skin on wings is to seperate the flats from the drumettes on the RT-700 std. grates the flats will get done first.
If you wash your wings, put them in the fridge uncovered overnight to dehydrate the skin. Also a long medium heat 325F will crisp the skin eventually.
I separate the flats and drumettes on the grill dry not wet, leave about 3/8" between them do not crowd. The flats will get done first. cook at 380 for about an hour, until the skin is browned and starts to shrivel. (about 170-175 degrees) Let them rest for a bit uncovered before saucing will make them crispier. Adjust cooking times depending on the size of the wings. Small about 45 minutes I use Hickory/Oak pellets. Rec-Tec pellets has to much dust/powder to suit me. I have to vacuum the hopper and auger after every bag. Pellets will make all the difference.

I'm having good luck with 1 to 3 corn starch to rub ratio. 375 for 35 minutes, turned once half way. Then coat the wings at the end of the cook in sauce of choice by tossing in a large steel bowl - I use about five different sauce options. I use the prepacked party wings from Costco, Kirkland brand, first and second sections, crisp up nice.

After trying the baking powder version with limited success (too salty for me and my family), I tried the corn starch version referenced here https://howtobbqright.com/2019/04/04/crispy-grilled-wings/. I substituted Holy Vooddo rub. I cooked at 450 until golden brown turning or rotating every 12-15 minutes. They came out very crispy with a texture like fried chicken. As expected at these temps there was no smoke flavor. After a taste test, we added a little more seasoning when done. Enjoy!

Attachments

• crispy chicken.jpg
    crispy chicken.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 105
Go to Howtobbqright website and look for crispy grilled wings.

I have used this method 4 times now and they come out amazing every time. My friends beg me to make these wings now. Granted, i was using my gas grill, but i will be using it on my RT700 to add some smoke. The same principles applies, corn starch is the key, with high indirect heat which our RT700 can do.

cornstarch is what your favorite Chinese restaurant is using for their wings. It gives a really nice crisp thin skin to the chicken wings. Same for much of their stir fried beef etc.

Adding baking soda (1tbl spoon) with a rub to dry wings really works. 225 for about 60 minutes and then crank to 400-450 for about another 45+ minutes, with a rotation at midway through. The baking soda raises the pH and creates a great environment for drying out the skin to get crispy. Just use a rub with little to no salt, as the soda has sodium in it. I have had luck with that method and they don't turn out too salty.
Baking powder, not soda...also works well on whole birds left in open air fridge overnight...v-rack or upright beer can style.

Baking powder, not soda...also works well on whole birds left in open air fridge overnight...v-rack or upright beer can style.
I agree. I have since switched over to baking powder and noticed a better effect on the skin. Plus, if you add just a bit too much of baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), it tends to have a soapy/funky aftertaste. Baking powder is more forgiving in the aftertaste department and works good at adding some crispness to the skin.

These where my first attempt at wings. Came out fairly cripsy. I was afraid to over cook. But there were no left overs, soooo
Can't argue with that!

I agree. I have since switched over to baking powder and noticed a better effect on the skin. Plus, if you add just a bit too much of baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), it tends to have a soapy/funky aftertaste. Baking powder is more forgiving in the aftertaste department and works good at adding some crispness to the skin.
What rub to you recommend with low sodium?

I have never tried it, but there is a low sodium baking powder. It's about 35 mg vs 60 mg. I mix about a teaspoon with my rub or salt and pepper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back