Best Liverwurst (Westcoast)

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I know this isn't BBQ, but it goes with beer and wine. In the past year, I got the urge for liverwurst (again). Just wondering if there are better brands than the local supermarket deli counter carries. I'm in southern California, so any help regarding what's out here is helpful. But, I'd like to hear what's out there too. So, either way, whatcha got where you're at?

I know this isn't BBQ, but it goes with beer and wine. In the past year, I got the urge for liverwurst (again). Just wondering if there are better brands than the local supermarket deli counter carries. I'm in southern California, so any help regarding what's out here is helpful. But, I'd like to hear what's out there too. So, either way, whatcha got where you're at?
I think Boar's Head is probably a good start. May not be the best, you may have to find a specialty German/Austrian/European Butcher Shop/Deli that makes their own for "the best".

San Leandro, CA used to be a hotbed of German, Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish sausage makers for decades after WWII. A German brand, Saags, made really outstanding liverwurst (and sausages). Sadly, they folded over a decade ago after being in business over 100 years (they were bought by one of the national companies and killed off).

I bought some excellent liverwurst from Josef's Artisan Meats along with a bunch of other sausages and various cured meats for Christmas a few years back. Their products were outstanding, but as a small operation, their shipping costs have prevented me from ordering again. They use FedEx 2 Day with no discounting on the shipping costs.

I've been meaning to try Boar's Head as most of their stuff is okay, but for whatever reason I've never remembered to buy some.

Roaniecowpony,
It may not be convenient to your location but Mattern Sausage & Meats in Orange does traditional and custom grinds. I haven’t seen liverwurst at their location on Chapman Ave but it is worth giving them a call, especially if you have your own favorite recipe. If you want Bavarian style sausages and meats, they are a winner in my book. They also have a nice selection of ancient grain and European breads and loafs. As a suggestion, get there early because their fresh selections are typically gone within hours after they open.

Roaniecowpony,
It may not be convenient to your location but Mattern Sausage & Meats in Orange does traditional and custom grinds. I haven’t seen liverwurst at their location on Chapman Ave but it is worth giving them a call, especially if you have your own favorite recipe. If you want Bavarian style sausages and meats, they are a winner in my book. They also have a nice selection of ancient grain and European breads and loafs. As a suggestion, get there early because their fresh selections are typically gone within hours after they open.
There ya go ! ;)(y):)

Roaniecowpony,
I have in-laws over there. We drive right up Chapman. I'll check it out.

Late last summer, friend and I were doing bucket list stuff and we jeeped the Rubicon trail near Lake Tahoe. Famous jeep trail, if you're into that. I brought two of the best Pinot Noirs I had (and I have some extrordinary ones) and about 4 fingers of a liverwurst roll and some crackers. I also brought a couple pounds of pulled pork for some tacoritos for dinner. But man, that liverwurst and wine was memorable sitting in camp. Good thing i didn't have a chloresterol test within a month of that. :p

Late last summer, friend and I were doing bucket list stuff and we jeeped the Rubicon trail near Lake Tahoe. Famous jeep trail, if you're into that. I brought two of the best Pinot Noirs I had (and I have some extrordinary ones) and about 4 fingers of a liverwurst roll and some crackers. I also brought a couple pounds of pulled pork for some tacoritos for dinner. But man, that liverwurst and wine was memorable sitting in camp. Good thing i didn't have a chloresterol test within a month of that. :p
If you are ever in NC, there are several producers that I have used. Neese’s is one of my faves. They have liver pudding, C-Loaf, and can also do liverwurst. I typically only recommend them if you are in the South East because their shipping costs are about 3 times the cost of the product so I buy it a couple of days before I leave and put it in a freezer so it can survive the trip out west or to my international locations. They have a number you can call to find out where they have inventory which makes it a little easier than running around small towns trying to find it. YMMV

Roanie…,
If you ever have a chance, I recommend the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado. I think it is also known as the “55”. It has spectacular views and has many places where your tactical skills are the only thing that will make your trip successful if you like a challenge during the winter months.

Here’s what I have on-hand. I like it.

IMG_1228.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back