Best Pellet Smokers

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I currently have the RT-590 and I was searching online for "Best Pellet Smokers" because I'm moving to Phoenix next month for the Winter and I'm looking to buy something new, and I never see the RecTeq's listed. I'm curious as to why this is? I see everything else, including a Cuisinart and Pit Bosses etc., and almost always there are different Traeger's listed. I've been pretty happy with the two different RecTeq's I've had, the 680 and currently the 590, but I was curious what else is out there. Why do you think this is?

Probably because they are only sold direct by RT rather than being available on the general market. There are other excellent pellet grills out there in the same situation; they are also sold direct. One of my favorites—MAK Grills—rarely gets mentioned as well.

One of the things you should understand is that most of these reviews are done by freelance writers looking to make a buck. And, most of them will just take the easy route; hit a couple of big-box stores, look at some grills and write an article.

I currently have the RT-590 and I was searching online for "Best Pellet Smokers" because I'm moving to Phoenix next month for the Winter and I'm looking to buy something new, and I never see the RecTeq's listed. I'm curious as to why this is? I see everything else, including a Cuisinart and Pit Bosses etc., and almost always there are different Traeger's listed. I've been pretty happy with the two different RecTeq's I've had, the 680 and currently the 590, but I was curious what else is out there. Why do you think this is?
Look at the Grilla Grills.

Last edited:
Why change what works well for you, unless you just wanna test the waters with other brands? My eyes don't stray much, I honestly have no real complaints with my 590 at all, neither do any of my friends locally that also own the 590.

Im happy with my recteq but also really like the yoders. But i will say dont put to much trust in those reviews because im sure they gladly provide you with a link to each grill to check current prices. Those are affiliate links and they get a commission if you buy through them so they will obviously recommend models that they are able to sell for a commission.

I am looking at the Yoder and Lonestar’s and trying to come up with a plan to donate my Bull to one of my daughters, if a can get SWSNBN to play along.

I’ve been checking out the Yoder as well but my wife is adamant that I’m not spending $2200 on a smoker. She said $1500 is the limit. Got the email yesterday saying RecTeq is coming out with something new in October. Might wait to see what that’s all about. I’ve been checking out Camp Chef, Grilla Grillz, Weber and a few others.

For 95% of these sites, they're using affiliate links, and most won't consider products that don't have an affiliate link to Amazon, etc.

A person who has mastered the art of smoking meat can do their magic in a homemade 50 gallon drum smoker or one of those 2500$ rigs.

If you honestly and truly enjoyed the food you are smoking then the only thing a ridiculously expensive rig has to offer is making it a bit easier. If it doesn’t make it easier the rig isn’t going to improve the quality of your cooks.

Meat, seasoning, Wood, heat, and time are the only variables that truly matter.

My RecTec can not make it much easier than they already do. The rest is on me.

I would suggest time and money would be better spent in the quest for the best quality meats to smoke and sources for the best fuel to smoke with. Those 2 variables are significantly more impactful to the quality our cooks.

A person who has mastered the art of smoking meat can do their magic in a homemade 50 gallon drum smoker or one of those 2500$ rigs.

If you honestly and truly enjoyed the food you are smoking then the only thing a ridiculously expensive rig has to offer is making it a bit easier. If it doesn’t make it easier the rig isn’t going to improve the quality of your cooks.

Meat, seasoning, Wood, heat, and time are the only variables that truly matter.

My RecTec can not make it much easier than they already do. The rest is on me.

I would suggest time and money would be better spent in the quest for the best quality meats to smoke and sources for the best fuel to smoke with. Those 2 variables are significantly more impactful to the quality our cooks.
I pretty much agree with everything you posted, but something that is really important, and the reason I returned my Traeger to Costco, is it needs to maintain the set temp within a few degrees. The Traeger was off by at least 25 degrees either way.

I pretty much agree with everything you posted, but something that is really important, and the reason I returned my Traeger to Costco, is it needs to maintain the set temp within a few degrees. The Traeger was off by at least 25 degrees either way.

Stick burners can fluctuate quite a bit, so does the oven in your house. :) I was never lured to a Traeger, although very happy that they made this industry what it is today.

Reactions: PRC

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back