Best recteq for built in

Fsa317

I am looking to incorporate a recteq into my outdoor kitchen project, basically removing the legs and mounting it on top of a raised platform. I’ve seen some videos of similar projects mostly with the 700. Just curious if any specific model may be better or worse for this type of project.

If you're spending money for a custom built-in install, it's probably worth getting a larger unit than a smaller one, particularly if you enjoy entertaining groups. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. This is probably the reason why most built-in videos you see are for the 700 series (or bigger).

One thing to keep in mind is the location of the hopper. This may or may not have an aesthetic / design impact on the overall "look" of your set-up.

@Fsa317 I would certainly agree with @Mpg123 when they say "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

I have the Recteq Bull (RT-700) myself and do I always need the space? Nope. Actually a Stampede would do me just fine probably about 80% of the time. However it's the other 20% when we have friends and/or family over and we're cooking up lots of burgers, ribs or steaks along with sides like corn on the cob, asparagus, etc that it's nice to have that extra room.

If the RT-700 is within your budget I would certainly go that route.

I used to build built-in BBQ's and I always told my customers to buy as much as they can afford and if it is out of price range a bit, wait and get what you want/need. When it comes down to the bottom line, bigger is better. I agree with the quote above 100%.

Here are pics of mine. It was originally just going to be a table for the kamado Joe but my wife bought me a Bull for Christmas so I modified the table mid stream. Turned out pretty good.
As far as heat goes I don’t think it would be a problem sitting directly on the wood but I put spacers under it just to be sure. I used 1” thick hard rubber, anti vibration pads that are made for AC units. So far it’s worked really good.

Attachments

• EC6923D4-ACF1-4C75-AA7F-09BF43C4B1A8.jpeg
    EC6923D4-ACF1-4C75-AA7F-09BF43C4B1A8.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 258
I am looking to incorporate a recteq into my outdoor kitchen project, basically removing the legs and mounting it on top of a raised platform. I’ve seen some videos of similar projects mostly with the 700. Just curious if any specific model may be better or worse for this type of project.
Be sure to allow for air flow under the recteq. I put two bricks under each corner and then put three layers of heat resistant paint ontop of the sheet metal that is below the bricks. It gets HOT under the grill. Originally I just had one brick on each corner and wood under that, but the wood got scorched on the first cook and scared me. So, I went with the two bricks and added the heat resistant paint and sheet metal. It's really safe now.

I have a Bull on the side, and a gas burner built into the outdoor kitchen - gives me some flexibility at times to open the one side up by moving the bull :)

I need to show my wife this picture of your deck. She complains about the number of grills, but I only have 2 smokers and a blackstone.
Yeah I have an obsession, and an understanding wife that likes the food I crank out. Each one gets used at least once a week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back