Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Installed mine , 76 degrees to 500 took 13 mins then it kept climbing to this 👇which took another 12 mins and bubbled the paint a little bit on the inside of lid 😔
Yeah... that's sorta like the 427 Cobras. You could drive 'em, play with them a little and appreciate what they were capable of... But, if you drove them flat out you were going to DIE! That's why there aren't too many of the originals around these days.

Last edited:
She’s holding steady at 225

Attachments

• 205B1B4E-C41D-49C9-A9EA-426231FC0D2C.png
    205B1B4E-C41D-49C9-A9EA-426231FC0D2C.png
    337.8 KB · Views: 90
Smoke Daddy auger took 6 minutes to get to 225 for some pork shoulder today. Has held steady for the past 7 hours and is still going smoothly. Also set the feed rate to 1.5 as recommended. It has overshot anywhere between 5-25 degrees after opening the lid to mist the shoulders in apple cider vinegar, but has come back down to temp after 5 minutes or so.

Smoke Daddy auger took 6 minutes to get to 225 for some pork shoulder today. Has held steady for the past 7 hours and is still going smoothly. Also set the feed rate to 1.5 as recommended. It has overshot anywhere between 5-25 degrees after opening the lid to mist the shoulders in apple cider vinegar, but has come back down to temp after 5 minutes or so.
glad to hear its working good. to prevent the overshooting you can put grill on low just before you open lid and put it back on 225 when you close. seems to keep the auger from speeding up. not that 25 high for a few minutes will hurt anything though

I did consider turning it down, but since I decided to be different and order a different motor, I figured I should give it a proper test. The temp swings don’t concern me at all, especially since it stabilizes so quick, and a few minutes here and there in a 8-12 hour cook isn’t going to matter.

how is everyones grill working with the 3rpm motor? one member has had some flameouts with a feedrate of 15, i haven’t experienced that yet. but if others are having that problem let us know. if its a problem maybe feedrate of 20 is best? still learning and experimenting

I am the member who had 2 flameouts this past weekend while smoking two 8 lb butts on a warm mid 80's day here in metro ATL. My deck is in full sun in the late PM, which I think contributed. I increased my feed rate to 20 for the last 4-5 hrs of the cook with no further issues but night came with cooler ambient temperature, so it's uncertain if this helped or not. My next low, slow cook will be a 18 lb brisket in a week or 2 so that should be a good comparator for me.
Nonetheless, I'm very happy with the 3 rpm motor because I use the grill more for grilling than for smoking, & the extra horsepower is quite nice for that. It heats up nearly as fast as my Weber Genesis II gasser.

New 3 rpm auger is installed. Rate set to 15. Test run tonight with pizza.
we have all been there
I just ordered my RT700 and came across this thread about the auger motor “mod”. I purchased a BFG 3rpm along with my new unit and thought I would try it from the beginning with all the research that y’all have done. I watched a YouTube video on adjusting the minimum auger rate and the recteq factory video said that the rate could not be lowered below 30. The video was a few years old…is this no longer the case? Thanks for passing on such great information !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back