Brisket goes on tonight

ccmjr77

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am going to start a brisket overnight. this is my first full brisket on the Bull. I have done flats before. I like a nice bark and I am wondering if I should just let it cook longer and not foil wrap or do I loose something by not wrapping at 165?

I've done a couple briskets now and have always wrapped in butcher paper once it hits 165. I've been very happy with the bark each time.

I just watched a Harry Soo video on brisket. He adds about 20% celery seed to his basic salt/pepper rub to make for a more durable bark to make it thru the wrapped cook.

While you might want to pick another time for experimentation, you could also choose to wrap when the bark is set to your preference rather than choosing a temp of 165f to do it. I've done some without wrapping and I've been pleased but I'm not expert enough to speak to the pros and cons of foil, butcher paper, naked. Good luck!

Just a follow up, the brisket was the best I have done so far. I did not wrap it during the cook. I started it at 12 midnight and pulled it at 1pm today, wrapped and put in cooler for about 1 hour, then cut the point off, cut it into cubes and put back on at 275 with more rub and sauce. The burt ends was delicious. Everyone loved them more than the flat. I dont think I will ever make just the brisket flat again. The burnt ends are better than the flat to everyone at my house.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back