Stampede Build quality 590 vs 340

If your grill is having trouble holding low temps, a minimum auger setting adjustment should help the bottom end temps.

I talked to customer service today. I already had my grill running, so we couldn't check the fan. But we basically talked about startups and clean burn pots versus ashy ones. A clean pot always starts quicker than an ashy one. Since my grill always starts and runs dead nuts on temp, we're 99% sure the grill is fine.

Today I am finishing some belly bacon, so knowing im running for hours in extreme smoke mode, I vacuumed the pot out before starting. I threw in a handful of pellets before reassembling everything. It started smoking in no time, and was actually running in just a couple minutes. It's since been running +/- 3F for the last 4 hours.

Perhaps my extended startups have been on the third or fourth cook. Lots of ash shrouding the igniter wild definitely slow lighting. I will not likely vacuum after every cook, but will try to be more attentive to it.
]That’s really good to know actually. I’ve never had a pellet grill and I’m learning from scratch. I live in SC and I’ve been having some issues keeping low temps (it climbs on its own) and oddly getting to higher temps (tops out at 510 degrees). It’s weird, but Rec Tec said we could do a larger auger motor, it’s just it might make the low end temp issue worse. Otherwise I love this grill. It’s a beast and I honestly may just spend the additional money when their actual grill makes a return. I’m also glad I went Rec Tec over something else.
If your grill is having trouble holding low temps, a minimum auger setting adjustment should help the bottom end temps.
I tried that and pushed it down too low. Smoke was starting to come out of the hopper and the temps dropped. Pushed it back from 3/3.5 to 6.5. I recall Rec Tec saying that it should be either 3.5 or 6.5.

p.s. how did that pork belly turn out?

Bacon turned out very good. I'm slicing and packaging today. If you haven't tried making bacon, I recommend giving it a shot.

Hey sweetride95, any update?

I've been cleaning fire pot every-other cook. Grill has been behaving nicely. I have noticed less smoldering after shutdown. I am probably not watching as closely either, but for whatever reason, things have been pretty positive. Startups feel reasonable.

After scrubbing the smoke off the outside, I put a 1/8" fireblack door seal on the lid. No more smoke residue. Doesn't effect the grill in any other way performance-wise. Makes the door feel nice when you close it, no more clanging metal to metal. I put some on the auger lid too. Feels like a higher class grill now. Lol

I ordered the comp cart. I'm committed fully to my 590 now.

How has yours been working out?

Not bad. They sent me the auger motor for the BFG and I installed that. I was getting weird temp fluctuations and wasn’t hitting the highs I wanted. This seems to have solved most of it.
I’m thinking about the competition cart as well. I’m loving the grill outside of having to install three different controllers.
I have the seal and I’ve been wondering if it helps with temp stability? I’ve had luck just trying wiping mine down after each cook, but I’m still on the fence.

Not bad. They sent me the auger motor for the BFG and I installed that. I was getting weird temp fluctuations and wasn’t hitting the highs I wanted. This seems to have solved most of it.
I’m thinking about the competition cart as well. I’m loving the grill outside of having to install three different controllers.
I have the seal and I’ve been wondering if it helps with temp stability? I’ve had luck just trying wiping mine down after each cook, but I’m still on the fence.

I didn't notice any real difference in performance after adding the seal. Once the grill gets heated thoroughly it's pretty much dead on.

So you had to go to a higher rpm auger motor? Were you struggling for 500F? So far mine has topped out at 490F. Summer isn't here yet, I'm hoping for 500+ when outside temps are 85+.

I wheel mine in and out of the garage, so the comp cart is going to be nice. It's easy to block up the casters some too, so an extra 2-3 inches of grill height will feel luxurious.

Yeah, I was having some weird issues with both over and undershooting. On top of that I wanted to make sure I could get to 600ish on that grill like I did on the 340. The newer motor got me to 550 on a 70 degree windy day, so I'm thinking I'll get there when it's warmer out. Downside is the pellet usage will be much higher at those temps with the larger motor, but I'm thinking there should be no difference at lower temps based on the new min feed rate (15-20 vs 35-65 with the older motor).

I tried to wheel mine over the yard and it was more difficult than I thought it would be. I may go for the comp cart when I go pick up the front shelf...

Glad to hear yours is working the way you want it!

I'll be curious if you can dial the auger% down enough to hold 180-200 when summer temps set in on you.

So that's a great question. Right now it's 73 and overcast in SC and I've tried it at 0.5-1.5, which all seem to be able to hold 180 perfectly. I imagine that I'll be able to do about 1.0 on a really hot day and still be able to maintain it, but my grill is also covered.

It's doing a great job so far. Now all I need is the front shelf and maybe that comp cart haha

It's awesome the updated control lets us dial the auger down that low. Watch those grill temps when summer really sets in. I'm betting 600+ be no problem in SC with that setup.

Here's hoping, but now that the alarms are working I should be good. Only wanted higher temps to use with the sear grates and now I've got that, so I'm definitely happy.

I enjoy the updated Auger rates i'm able to set the grill at. I am in SC also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back