RT-1070 Bull horns. Have you ever wondered why the bull horns on the grill are installed pointing in when bull horns always point outward.

RandyRadon

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
I did,
1000019873.jpg
and I looked at all their advertising and all were pointing inward. So when you raise the lid your arm is right in the heat of the grill. Two days ago I swapped the horns to point out. Not only is that the way bull horns actually go but now my arm is not over the heat but to the side of the grill. This is much more functional and I believe safer.

Very nice outdoor kitchen space! I am jealous!

I did, and I looked at all their advertising and all were pointing inward. So when you raise the lid your arm is right in the heat of the grill. Two days ago I swapped the horns to point out. Not only is that the way bull horns actually go but now my arm is not over the heat but to the side of the grill. This is much more functional and I believe safer.
I know anatomically it would be correct to have them turned out but I can think of 2 reasons it would be incorrect for the RT smokers. The first is that you will potentially tweak your lid if you open it one handed as the stress load may be isolated to one side. The other reason would include buying extra covers because you may be setting yourself up for a rip/‘tear or two. Just my opinons, but you can use any configuration that pleases you.

I did,View attachment 21666 and I looked at all their advertising and all were pointing inward. So when you raise the lid your arm is right in the heat of the grill. Two days ago I swapped the horns to point out. Not only is that the way bull horns actually go but now my arm is not over the heat but to the side of the grill. This is much more functional and I believe safer.
Your not alone. Horns Out!

0328201208b_resized.jpg

I know anatomically it would be correct to have them turned out but I can think of 2 reasons it would be incorrect for the RT smokers. The first is that you will potentially tweak your lid if you open it one handed as the stress load may be isolated to one side. The other reason would include buying extra covers because you may be setting yourself up for a rip/‘tear or two. Just my opinons, but you can use any configuration that pleases you.
I wasn't paying attention when I first assembled my 700 and installed the horns pointing outward. There was indeed enough tweaking on the lid that I promptly removed them and re-installed them pointing inward.

Having been raised on a farm where we had beef cattle, @Waterboy is correct. We never had cattle that had the Texas Longhorn look. Our cattle, (mostly Angus, Hereford, Charolais, or a mix) if we never dehorned them in the first place, the horns were pointed up or curved in like a recteq grill.

I did,View attachment 21666 and I looked at all their advertising and all were pointing inward. So when you raise the lid your arm is right in the heat of the grill. Two days ago I swapped the horns to point out. Not only is that the way bull horns actually go but now my arm is not over the heat but to the side of the grill. This is much more functional and I believe safer.
I’ve turned mine outward primarily because it gets in the way of space on my front (popup) tray on my RT-700 making it awkward when I put a large pan on the tray before putting food on or off the pellet grill.

However, I did turn them back inward after a couple of months. First reason is it appeared to me to put pressure on the lid hinge when I’d lift the lid. That’s when use one hand to lift the lid. Doesn’t matter if I used my right hand or left I see the lid lifting more to whatever side I was lifting from. I do not see that slight twisting of the lid when the horns are inward. The second reason is I cannot get the cover on at all with the horns outward. And, yes, I know the cover on the 700 is notorious for being difficult to get on. My method for getting the cover on/off works for me and I don’t have issues with it…when the horns are inward.

I turned mine out on the 700 to help my wife lift the lid. She is vertically challenged and if they were turned in she would hit her arm on the lid. Been this way since new (1 1/2 yrs) and I have not noticed any tweaking of the lid.

I turned mine out on the 700 to help my wife lift the lid. She is vertically challenged and if they were turned in she would hit her arm on the lid. Been this way since new (1 1/2 yrs) and I have not noticed any tweaking of the lid.
I'm sure there will be some type of long term psychological issues.

Amazing setup!
I turned mine out to make it easier for my wife to open

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back