Butcher Paper (Pink, Unbleached)

Bruce Lathrop

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
As a newbie, I recently smoked some spare ribs, and followed someone’s advice and used unbleached pink butchers paper during the process.
I had my RT340 set at 225, and smoked the rubbed ribs for three hours, then took them out and wrapped them loosely in the paper. Placed them back in for two more hours, then took off the paper, and thirty more minutes of smokin’. I let them rest before attacking.
They were the best thing I’ve had losing my virginity as a young lad! YUM

My question is: What role does the paper actually serve? Can it be used on beef, fowl, fish, etc.?
Is there a proper or better method than I used?

Thanks for any experienced help?

bl

Wrapping the meat with the paper keeps the steam being released from going out the stack, or being evaporated. This will help keep the meat nice and moist for the time its wrapped. I do the same thing making ribs, though I add a couple ounces of apple juice for extra moisture. If you use foil, that's known as a Texas Crutch. For the wrapping crowd, it's usually either foil, or butchers paper, but not both. I have used both with similar results.

I have wrapped butts in the past, usually around the stall time to help get through that long period of nothingness time. I tend not to wrap otherwise, but instead apply some water spray, from time to time. Wrapping the meat does make the bark a little soft. That is unless you unwrap and put back in for a little while longer, as in the ribs.

I always will wrap during the rest period. That also helps keep moisture in, but not soften things up too much. I just don't wrap it up very tight.

From what I've read (and watched), rule of thumb is:
Paper is for Beef
Foil is for Pork
Is there any science or anything behind this or is it just personal preference? I have only used foil so just curious if there is a true pros and cons list of using one vs the other or not really.

Is there any science or anything behind this or is it just personal preference? I have only used foil so just curious if there is a true pros and cons list of using one vs the other or not really.
I have seen on video "Slap Yo Daddy" Harry Soo use paper then foil at the same time?

"Science ? .... We don't need no steeenking science !" .... this is Barbeque man !
I watched a ton of Videos on this:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paper+vs+foil+brisket
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paper+vs+foil+ribs
And it seems that the consensus is, they (mostly) all come back to; Paper is for Beef, Foil is for Pork
But it all comes down to; what works best, to get the results YOU'RE looking for

I think the science is that foil holds moisture better than paper. Pork is leaner than beef so foil is used more often on pork to keep as much moisture as possible.
Foil holds so much moisture that is can ruin the bark on a brisket so a lot of folks use paper on briskets. It helps with moisture but does less damage to the bark.
That being said there are no hard and fast rules and You’ll find folks using paper on pork and foil on beef. For my personal taste foil on beef makes it taste more like a roast and less like BBQ. I prefer to not wrap at all but will depending on the particular cook. Time and/or meat quality have the biggest impact on my choice.

I think the science is that foil holds moisture better than paper. Pork is leaner than beef so foil is used more often on pork to keep as much moisture as possible.
Foil holds so much moisture that is can ruin the bark on a brisket so a lot of folks use paper on briskets. It helps with moisture but does less damage to the bark.
That being said there are no hard and fast rules and You’ll find folks using paper on pork and foil on beef. For my personal taste foil on beef makes it taste more like a roast and less like BBQ. I prefer to not wrap at all but will depending on the particular cook. Time and/or meat quality have the biggest impact on my choice.
I agree with your foil holding moisture in and generally don't use anything on my cooks. I've have used foil in the past on some of my my cooks with disappointing results. Now if something is going to get wrapped while it's on the grill I've had better results using butchers paper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back