Bull Calibrating

dlp1195

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just got my 700 yesterday and burned it in. Trying to see where I stand on my inside temp and probes. Did ice water test on probes and was right on at 32 degrees. Set grill to 250 and hooked proves up and ran for a hour and this is the results. Kind of confused on accuracy of everything now and don’t really know what to do. Any help will be appreciated.
3A149622-71F4-4092-B5E0-15C25F497BDF.png

Looks like the one connected to "B" is high. Out of curiosity, do you have a separate thermometer to use as a comparison? Not required, but another data point can be helpful.

Here's the video with instructions:

Looks like the one connected to "B" is high. Out of curiosity, do you have a separate thermometer to use as a comparison? Not required, but another data point can be helpful.

Here's the video with instructions:
I don’t have another one I can trust. What threw me was they both was spot on at 32 degrees. Will get another one to compare and do the test again. Might try with boiling water since higher temperature is what I will be dealing with. I was just going by what the guy did in the video. Thanks

I agree another data point could be helpful. Measuring probe temperature using random locations inside the smoker can give different results. Boiling water is one way to start.

You can also cook a larger piece of meat, like a beef roast, and use one probe point in the meat, and swap the probs as the meat cooks. If you try this, is would be helpful to mark both probes with the same insertion depth so that you are not placing one at a different depth than the other. Pull one probe, insert the other to the same depth, and compare the results. It sounds like overkill even to me, but depending on how concerned you are about this... it may be helpful.

I agree another data point could be helpful. Measuring probe temperature using random locations inside the smoker can give different results. Boiling water is one way to start.

You can also cook a larger piece of meat, like a beef roast, and use one probe point in the meat, and swap the probs as the meat cooks. If you try this, is would be helpful to mark both probes with the same insertion depth so that you are not placing one at a different depth than the other. Pull one probe, insert the other to the same depth, and compare the results. It sounds like overkill even to me, but depending on how concerned you are about this... it may be helpful.
I would like them to at least be close to the same so will play around with it. Had to smoke something so have BB ribs on now.

Were both probes next to each other? We’re they in clips? It could be one point was closer to the grates and picking up that temp more than the ambient air in the cooker. If they were in different locations on the grill I would swap them and see if you still get the same discrepancy.

Were both probes next to each other? We’re they in clips? It could be one point was closer to the grates and picking up that temp more than the ambient air in the cooker. If they were in different locations on the grill I would swap them and see if you still get the same discrepancy.
They was right next to each other with tips straight up. I will get a good thermometer tomorrow and do another test and make sure both are equal. Thanks for suggestions.

I did some baby backs today and was good but I like mine to fall off the bone tender. These seemed a little dry. Not bad for first time I guess.

I have been using my thermapen or DOT for verifying accuracy of both probes. I think that's easier than the cube/ boil test.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back