Ceramic Frying Pans

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I ran across these pans while searching for a better/safer non-stick pan. https://www.costco.com/.product.100732909.html

We have a good selection of cast iron and one new French mild steel pan, and a premium laminated stainless steel pan. But for many cooking tasks we still use a few lightweight coated pans.

My wife and I have been trying to kick the Teflon coated pan habit for years. So, when our last pans were looking pretty bad, I started reading about these new ceramic coated pans. Of all the material I could find to read, this brand, Greenpan, kept coming up as a safe and effective alternative.

So, I bought them and we've had them for a few months now. I thought I'd share my experience. First, let's cut to the chase. I recommend them...with some reservations. They don't emit the VOC toxins of Teflon and other polymer coatings, if the reviews and tests out there are to be believed.

As for "non-stick", I'd say they are non-stick for the most part, but not as much so as a Teflon or other polymer coated pan. An egg cooked without any oil will stick. If you use them at a medium or lower heat, they work well. But they are more likely to stick if used at high heat, where any cooking oils or fats can polymerize (just like you "season" a cast iron pan). I'd say these pans perform somewhere between a well seasoned cast iron pan and a Teflon pan, but closer to the Teflon pan. My wife burned some oil onto one of these pans yesterday when using it at high heat. I found that the oil had polymerized. I ran some hot water into it and, per their instructions, used a "Majic Eraser" type of sponge and scrubbed out the coating of oil on it pretty quickly. It came 100% off.

So, I think these are a pretty good bargain at Costco for the 3 pan set.

greenpan.jpg

My wife and I are at the same place, wanting to find a better alternative to our aging non-stick pans. Had never heard of these. Thanks for the helpful tip and info!

Thanks for sharing this, I too have been worried about Teflon, there is so much information and mis-information.
That is one reason I love my Blackstone, I cook on it 2 or 3 times a week and if I weren't using it probably would be using some sort of non stick. We do use cast iron a-lot, but still have some older non-stick pans I would love to let go of.
I am 61 so I am sure I have been exposed to much, but I do like to know so I can warn my kids!

I keep a couple of non-sticks around, but I use tri-ply stainless steel pans and cast iron for the most part.

Note: If you don't know how to cook with tri-ply...take it easy with the heat and follow the manufactuers recommendations. Otherwise stuff will stick to it like glue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back