RT-1070 Challenge: Not enough smoke flavor? Try this.

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
I believe the complaint that you don’t get enough smoke flavor with a pellet grill is due to two things.
1. The process of pellet production allows the natural moisture and the volatile substances to escape thus removing those combustion products that penetrate the meat and contribute to “smoke” taste. Stick burners don’t suffer this loss and produce good smoke flavor. Nothing you can do about this. Using pellets from producers who use the whole tree instead of industrial saw dust helps but not enough.
2. Using heavy rubs covering the meat surface IMO prevents smoke penetration and while great flavors are possible we still note lack of smoke effect. ( some of us more than others).
Challenge: I have been using salt and pepper only lightly done as you would season a steak, instead of a rub. So called Texas Style for all my recent “low/slow” cooks with two noted effects: better deeper smoke ring, and much increase in smoke flavor (not too much!).
So—do it! And report if you will.

I believe the complaint that you don’t get enough smoke flavor with a pellet grill is due to two things.
1. The process of pellet production allows the natural moisture and the volatile substances to escape thus removing those combustion products that penetrate the meat and contribute to “smoke” taste. Stick burners don’t suffer this loss and produce good smoke flavor. Nothing you can do about this. Using pellets from producers who use the whole tree instead of industrial saw dust helps but not enough.
2. Using heavy rubs covering the meat surface IMO prevents smoke penetration and while great flavors are possible we still note lack of smoke effect. ( some of us more than others).
Challenge: I have been using salt and pepper only lightly done as you would season a steak, instead of a rub. So called Texas Style for all my recent “low/slow” cooks with two noted effects: better deeper smoke ring, and much increase in smoke flavor (not too much!).
Forgot to add that we apply sauces at the table when desired although the Q tastes great without it.

I’ve pretty much gone with that as well on beef, but I’m using Holy Cow which is salt, pepper, and a little garlic.

I have long used my own version of SPOG (salt, pepper, onion, garlic) with similar results. And, as I’ve frequently noted, “smoke” is a relative thing; some people can’t get enough and some people only like a light touch. Do whatever works best for your taste.

That said, I don’t use a heavy amount of my SPOG and get very good results—at least, my family and friends think so. I do use a light amount of yellow or brown mustard as a binder on my brisket cooks.

I knew there were others with similar experience, but learned something new. Did not know Holy Cow was that ideal a mix. Will check it out. Nice responses so far. Thanks.
Mad Scientist also thinks heavy rubs block smoke absorption.

I like it. I also like the convenience of not having to store and grind pepper to make my own rub. Like @Jim6820, I used to blend my own combo of SPG(O). However, now that I have a Buc-ee’s 5 minutes away, they carry most of the Meat Church rubs. Since I had already converted to a MC rub for ribs , (Honey Hot BBQ) I don’t blend my own rubs anymore. I also really like Matt Pittman as a content creator, so to support them with their rubs makes me feel like I’m paying him back in a small way.

I like it. I also like the convenience of not having to store and grind pepper to make my own rub. Like @Jim6820, I used to blend my own combo of SPG(O). However, now that I have a Buc-ee’s 5 minutes away, they carry most of the Meat Church rubs. Since I had already converted to a MC rub for ribs , (Honey Hot BBQ) I don’t blend my own rubs anymore. I also really like Matt Pittman as a content creator, so to support them with their rubs makes me feel like I’m paying him back in a small way.
I read the ingredient label and it says "Salt, spices, garlic etc." Looks like there is ample pepper in the visuals. Not sure what the others are but they give a red/brown tint. Did Matt Pittman reveal those to you?

I read the ingredient label and it says "Salt, spices, garlic etc." Looks like there is ample pepper in the visuals. Not sure what the others are but they give a red/brown tint. Did Matt Pittman reveal those to you?
Not directly to me, but I’ve heard him state that multiple times on his YouTube channel. Here is a recent Video, mentioned at the 4:40 mark. I’d guess there is also a little paprika for color as it does have that smell.

Not directly to me, but I’ve heard him state that multiple times on his YouTube channel. Here is a recent Video, mentioned at the 4:40 mark. I’d guess there is also a little paprika for color as it does have that smell.
Small amount of Paprika Oil makes the coloring he states, but it is SPG otherwise as you stated. Will try it, and thanks.. Hutchins Beef rub is similar and very good. I like to use kosher salt with commercial ground P. I tried mixing and using a shaker but that did not work (salt is flakes), so I just hoof it. When doing Trisket, I apply salt the night before, then add P and G the next day before smoking. Same for Brisket. For ribs, I just do it all about 1/2hr before smoking. (mustard binder for each)

I have a "Big Kahuna" smoke generator mounted to my 700. I cold smoke naked racks of ribs for about an hour. Then, I take them into the kitchen, rub them with regular old French's mustard and cover them with Doctored (SPOG) "Bad Byron's Butt Rub". Works like a champ and is easy peasy...

Why is everyone so worried about a smoke ring? I am more worried about the end product and if it passes the taste test! If my BBQ is so bad that I have to add sauces and what-not at the time to plate the food then I have failed. I personally want to taste the protein and not some store bought sauce. I haven't been smoking meats for 35+ years to ruin a $130.00 brisket or a $65.00 pork shoulder/butt with some mass produced sauce that does not compliment my meat.

Use high quality pellets like recteq pellets, for large cuts like brisket put it on the pit when the meat has an internal temperature around 35-40F, the colder the better and have your pit set to 180F for at least an hour if not two hours at the beginning of your cook.

I load on the seasoning and I get great smoke flavor with this method.

I have a "Big Kahuna" smoke generator mounted to my 700. I cold smoke naked racks of ribs for about an hour. Then, I take them into the kitchen, rub them with regular old French's mustard and cover them with Doctored (SPOG) "Bad Byron's Butt Rub". Works like a champ and is easy peasy...
Can you post a picture of the smoke generator mounted please

Magnum P.I.G. on my BFG. My wife told me that it was the 1st time that she had ever tasted the hickory from a pellet smoker.
IMG_0955.jpeg

Pretty much like Smoker Bill's pics above. Give me a few and I'll find my previous post with pics. But....they're gonna look almost identical.

edit; Here you go;

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...-and-the-results-were-amazing.4860/post-68462

Couple of pointers;

1. The air pumps are generic aquarium air pumps. $16.00'ish on AMZN.

2. The metal air tube that extends into the grill will creosote up with time/cooks. You'll need to clean it periodically. Start by unscrewing it from the smoke generator and grab it with a set of vice grips. Then, torch it down good with a propane torch, particularly the orifice end. This will turn most of the creosote to ash. Then, clean it up with a Scotchbrite pad. The whole process is easier and less time consuming than it sounds. I had mine clog up and I initially thought the air pump had crapped out, which it hadn't. The air tube was just clogged with creosote.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back